Children's tv drama - 1970s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Children's tv drama - 1970s

Can anyone remember the name of a 1970s British tv drama for children that featured a scene in which a boy who is being pursued (I can't remember the context) jumps from a fasting moving train as it's passing through the British countryside. My recollection of it is that it was shot in a very fairly visceral way and I remember the continuity announcer issuing a warning after the programme about the dangers of doing such a thing. The scene disturbed me and stuck with me for years, but I can't remember anything else about the narrative now, although I can picture one of the adult actors who was in it. Trying to remember what else he was in so I can work out his name.

Many thanks!

Re: Children's tv drama - 1970s

Roy Evans was the actor I was thinking of and the only thing I can find that he was in that would match is 'The Changes'. I see the title sequence features a train - does anyone know if the scene above is from this series?

Many thanks.

Comment

I'm fairly sure the train bit on the opening sequence of the changes was just that, just some stock footage. Can't remember any other train bit's in the series. It's not that I have a fantastic memory from the 70's but that I watched it not so long ago on youtube.

Comment

Thank you very much havasack. It sounds like I've probably conflated two separate dramas in my head. I keep hoping the memory of the train jump series will pop back, but no luck so far. I know it was a drama and not a PIF.

Comment

I just realised I made an error last night when tired and the actor was Tony Caunter. Roy Evans was the character he played in EastEnders. By coincidence there's an actor called Roy Evans in 'The Changes'. I can't find anything on Tony Caunter's IMDb page that fits the series I'm after, so again it may be a confused memory.

Comment

Only thing I can see for kids on TC's IMDB is King Cinder

Comment

Thank you sixtyten. 'King Cinder' is around the right time, if my memory serves me correctly. I'll do a bit of digging around at the weekend and see what I can find. I wish I could remember the context. I saw also that TC was in 'Ace of Wands', but unless that was repeated 1971 is probably a bit early for me (I was born in 1967), although it may account for why I can't remember anything else about it.

Comment

Been scratching my head over this one for the last few days. There was a children's drama called Soldier and Me. It revolved around two boys who were being chased. I believe they may of jumped off a speeding train. The Drama was aired on TV around 1974.

Comment

That's brilliant battyrat - thank you very much. I'll see if I can find a detailed synopsis of it anywhere. I was sure it wasn't a fantasy drama, so the title sounds right and had in mind 1973-76 as the most likely period and more towards the 1973 end. My memory of it is always linked to scene of a boy running into Tony Caunter in a country lane, but it seems there's some confusion on my part. Thank you

Comment

Just on the way to work, but found a couple of brief synopses of 'Soldier and Me' and it sounds like that's definitely it - it refers to the train jump. There's one episode on YouTube, but it doesn't contain that scene. Thank you battyrat - I've wondered about this series for decades.

Comment

Soldier and Me was released on dvd a few years back.

Comment

Working...
                      X