The King's Cross Fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The King's Cross Fire

Does Anyone remember this?The King's Cross fire broke out on 18 November 1987 at approximately 19:30 at King's Cross St. Pancras tube station, a major interchange on the London Underground. The fire killed 31 people. As well as the mainline railway stations above ground and subsurface platforms for the Metropolitan lines, there were platforms deeper underground for the Northern, Piccadilly, and Victoria lines. The fire started on an escalator serving the Piccadilly Line and approximately 15 minutes after being reported, as the first members of the London Fire Brigade were investigating, the fire flashed over, filling the underground ticket office with heat and smoke.The subsequent public inquiry determined that the fire had started due to a lit match being dropped onto the escalator and suddenly increased in intensity due to a previously unknown trench effect. London Underground were strongly criticised for their attitude toward fires. Complacent because there had never been a fatal fire on the Underground, staff had been given little or no training to deal with fires or evacuation.The publication of the report led to resignations of senior management in both London Underground and London Regional Transport and to the introduction of new fire safety regulations.So Sad That People Lost There Lifes during this disaster 31 people died. Rip to them all

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Re: The King's Cross Fire

Remember it well, remember seeing it on the news, at first it was kind of under played, only later did I realise how serious it was. Terrible really, there was a very good program on Ch 5 (I think) the other night, well worth trying to catch it.

Comment

Remember it too, but was living in my native Glasgow at the time but it was well reported in the national news. Moved down to London 2 years later and noticed the plaque pinned to the wall by the ticket barriers, it was dubbed the "Biscuit tin lid" and considered a very poor memorial to the victims. There is now a nice brass clock in its place. It's hard to believe back in 1987 that people were allowed to smoke on the tubes and that staff were ill prepared for a fire and as for those wooden escalators.....!!

Comment

I remember it but always thought it was earlier than 1987 for some reason. I don't seem to have the level of memory I thought I would have had at that age. It must have passed me by a little at the time. I don't think I even knew where Kings Cross was. I had my first trip to London three years later, travelling into Kings Cross and was totally oblivious.
        Last edited by Trickyvee; 21-06-2014, 07:24.
        1976 Vintage

Comment

I can remember it happening, I think by then smoking had been banned on the trains, but not yet at the stations.

The fire spead due to the fire being fanned by rushing air from incoming trains IIRC.

Also there was a "John Doe" who it took 20 odd years to name.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by scotchmist View Post
            It's hard to believe back in 1987 that people were allowed to smoke on the tubes and that staff were ill prepared for a fire and as for those wooden escalators.....!!
            I often wondered who came up with the idea to manufacture escalators out of wood
            sigpic
            Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Working...
            X