Dewhurst butchers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dewhurst butchers

If they came back as a Supermarket concession would you use it, Do you remember them they closed in 95 but a MBO kept the name going until 2006,What does the name Dewhurst butchers mean to you, Does the Master butcher bring memories of quality or otherwise.

Re: Dewhurst butchers

I remember Stockport had a Dewhursts until the early-mid 1990s.

It was just off the main shopping precinct.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

My parents would never shop there, they said the meat was of poor quality, a lot not English and it wasn't properly hung.
      The shops had lovely tiles though.

Comment

Our local independent butcher proudly claimed to be "Dewhurst trained" when he first opened. His window displays always followed the Dewhurst pattern. Also never looked like any one item was running low. I cannot comment on quality, but looking back it was the beginning of the "slippery slope" towards agribusiness taking over and us being more and more removed from growing, producing and marketing locally. Meat ls now "imported" from far and wide rather than being produced and consumed locally.

Comment

Originally posted by Piglet View Post
          Our local independent butcher proudly claimed to be "Dewhurst trained" when he first opened. His window displays always followed the Dewhurst pattern. Also never looked like any one item was running low. I cannot comment on quality, but looking back it was the beginning of the "slippery slope" towards agribusiness taking over and us being more and more removed from growing, producing and marketing locally. Meat ls now "imported" from far and wide rather than being produced and consumed locally.
          Fortunately there are still a few butchers about; albeit relatively few. Then of course there are farm shops & farmers markets, so at least we still have quite a few butchers still about rather than just the ones in supermarkets
          sigpic
          Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

I worked I Dewhurst Butchers in Nun Street. Newcastle Upon Tyne from Being a Saturday boy in 1970 until 1973 . It's the only job I've ever had that I looked forward to going to every day. Sid Nichol was the manager and a true Gentleman. He was like a second dad. Really missed him when I left

​​​​​

Comment

The reason why independent butchers shops seem to disappear from the High Street is because of that shark called the "Supermarket" taking over the butcher, as well (who do you think you are kidding, Mr Tesco?) as well as the baker and the candlestick maker. Dewhursts were all over the place in the 1980s and had a bit of TV advertising as well.

Other butchers shops I can think of include Walter Smith's (one in Nottingham - might have been a regional East Midlands only thing), and Matthews butchers which I thought was linked to Bernard Matthews because of the name and the poultry connection; they illegally took on a 15 year old at the Nottingham Victoria Centre branch of the latter circa 1985, and the local news got to know about it. The 15 year old was forced to go back to school and do his GCSEs but he vouched never to go back. One young man's meat is another man's poison so it seemed back then.

A few years ago I was on holiday in Falmouth and passed the display "blackboard" outside a butcher's shop which mentioned that it was selling "skirts". Of course, it was a skirt of beef that it was referring to, but I thought that veering into women's fashion didn't sound too "butch" to be honest!
              I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
              There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
              X