"We've found her" !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "We've found her" !!

I can remember when they located the Titanic in 1989, it was very exciting at the time and there was some serious speculatioin about bringing her to the surface, quite an abhorrent thought today. It was breathtaking when they finally sent the robotic cameras down to film her interior, must have been the early 90's.

Re: "We've found her" !!

....yes, ok I've just checked Wikipedia and she was actually found in 1985....I have chastised myself severely

Comment

They were hoping to find it more intact, also there was that film about Raising The Titanic a few years before.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

The hunt for the wreck of R.M.S. Titanic, only came about after there was agreement with the U.S. Navy that there would be a search for U.S.S. Scorpion and U.S.S. Thresher, two nuclear powered submarines that disappeared. This was done in secret. The search for Titanic was a good cover up. This only came out well after the Titanic was found. Both submarines imploded through pressure of the sea. Part of the search was to see if any of the nuclear reactors was causing radiation problems in the surrounding area. Luckily, there was no evidence of this. Remember, Robert Ballard was also in charge when they found Bismarck.
        Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Richard mentioned the film "Raise the Titanic" in an earlier post. There's a wonderful quote from Sir Lew Grade, whose company made the film: "Raise the Titanic? It would have been cheaper to lower the Atlantic."

Comment

Working...
          X