Changing jobs: Fact or Fiction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing jobs: Fact or Fiction?

According to some older people I've spoken to one could resign from one's job on a Friday and commence a new one on a Monday. Did this actually happen or is it just an urban myth? Did you or anyone you know manage to do this? Temporary jobs don't count.

Re: Changing jobs: Fact or Fiction?

Originally posted by scotchmist View Post
    According to some older people I've spoken to one could resign from one's job on a Friday and commence a new one on a Monday. Did this actually happen or is it just an urban myth? Did you or anyone you know manage to do this? Temporary jobs don't count.
    Yes it probably did happen at one stage

Comment

Depends how lucky you were. I never got lucky and fell foul of the mass unemployment of the 80's and more recent times. Saying that I am what you would call unskilled labor in factory jobs which can be done by anybody. There was certainly more people doing the jobs years ago but what with better machinery only one or two people are needed today compared to a dozen or more a couple of decades ago to do the same job. I have a mate who's about 10 years older then me who recalls that the 70's was a time when jobs could be easily found as in many places the work outstripped the amount of people employers had in the area. He often says he went from building sites to the cloth mills in the winter when the building stopped due to bad weather then back again to building or another job in the spring. He like me fell foul of the mass unemployment of the 80's.So yep if it was like my mate said then walking out of one unskilled job and into another one the next day ended sometime in the 70's.

Comment

I agree think you could in the 60's and 70's but by the 80's no.
        1976 Vintage

Comment

hard to believe this could have happened as iin u would not be asked why you quit one for another.

if u did this now i think u would be asked why did u quit etc.
          anyway i think there where more jobs going back then than now.

Originally posted by scotchmist View Post
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I think today most questions that are asked at an interview comes from the employer reading the CV's prospective job hunters send them. Years ago we did not use CV's so gaps in employment did not matter so much and the reason why we left a job was rarely asked as in many cases the interviewer did not know people had just walked out of a job days before. CV's are a good thing for employers but not always that good for someone unskilled like myself looking for another vacancy. They only really work in high powered jobs where real knowledge about the job matters.

There were more jobs back then. Before computers everything was done on paper so more office staff were needed to do the jobs, more people were needed on factory floors as before computerization and better machines we needed more people to run them or on the production lines. If we go back just as far then you would also see many more people working on farms especially when hay or crops were brought in. Today it's just the farmers family and a few extra machines brought in during hay making etc. I used to do this sort of work as a kid during the summer just to help out. We used to import raw materials and export the finished goods, it's now cheaper to buy in from china or else where. It's all gone now and with it all the heavy industry the support industries and most of the jobs. It all went during the 70's and the early 80's.

Comment

Yip you could in the 50's, 60's and early 70's and I don't agree with the above (first paragraph), more to do with a labour power shortage at the time.

Comment

The first paragraph was in answer to Darren when he mentioned about not being asked at an interview why we quit one job for another. Quite simply the new employer did not know back then we had quit one job for another so why ask. CV'S make this nearly impossible to hide these days and in many instances gaps in employment are picked up by the interviewer and asked about. Just personal experience in the changing labor market over the last 30 years.

Comment

Having cvs in front of employees especially emails they can choose who they want for an interview,and only if your succesful they would get in touch with you.Going back if you went for an interview and you were un succesful you would be guaranteed a letter in the post,saying why.But these days I have heard a lot of people apply for loads of vacancies but dont even get a reply,are a lot of vacancies made up to look as though there are plenty of jobs about.When I look at Dir Gov site sometimes the same jobs are advertised are they fixed like the lotto!

Comment

I spent nearly 5 years out of full time work and fell into a rather bad job about 2 years back which I am clinging on to. I think one of the biggest changes is the introduction of agency work which did not exist in the very early 80's in this area. Employers used to offer 3 months temporary work on contract instead. Another downward turn in employment is Dockers hours I.e Zero hour contracts. These are very bad indeed and should be made illegal. These started to appear in this area sometime in the 90's.Agencys are great for an employer but for someone looking for full time work can be a nightmare. These job schemes where you work for your dole money (I went on 3 of these) they also tie up a job hunter promising a full time job that never comes. I done 3 job placements which wasted 2 half months each without getting any wages or anything extra then my dole money. I would love to see the clock turned back 30-40 years in the workplace but it will never happen.

Comment

Even banking jobs are not safe and it used to be a job for life.It is wrong the way employees treat staff use you when they want work done,then can get rid of you when they feel like and theres nothing you can do about it extremely disgusting

Comment

Working...
                      X