Electrical items that dont last

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical items that dont last

Our Electric kettle just packed in we only purchased it 18 months ago.we bought a morphy richards retro style one,looked nice for the look of it.Half price at £29 wont be buying another one.Its annoying that everything is made in China when we had manufacturing in the UK IN THE 1950,S-1970S things were made to last but not any more.The value range from Asda lasted longer than this heap of junk

Re: Electrical items that dont last

A Russell Hobbs toaster I bought about 2 months ago. Worked fine for 3 weeks until the pop-up mechanism decided not to stay in the down position. Absolute junk. My cheap Bosch mixer burnt out after 3 attempts at making bread dough. I now have a heavy duty Kenwood Chef and it's amazing!

Comment

We bought a toaster to match the kettle that has done the same a few times,the pop mechanism wont stay down,probably wont last long

Comment

I've been quite lucky with household items. Only this year did my good old plastic kettle pack up. It cost me £5 new and lasted 10 years!
        1976 Vintage

Comment

Anything Amstrad !!

Comment

I once walked past a house in Blackpool where there was an awful distorted noise coming from. I said " Sounds like a party " He said " No it sounds like an Amstrad " He was of course correct !! Nasty cheap items...you get what you pay for I suppose

Comment

Since I moved into a place of my own 5 years ago the only things I've had to replace were a kettle & toaster, which both lasted 3 years before acting up.

I guess all the heating isn't good for them.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

things just arent made nowadays to last longer than their first year on the whole,due to their manufacturing processes,ie everything is made so cheaply and on the rush that it always goes wrong-thats why you still see so many electrical items from the 70s and 80s still going strong because,as the old cliche says-they dont make them like they used to!

Comment

Most things now are made to look nice not too last a long time.

We had a hotpoint washing machine got 15 or so yrs out of it.

In he last 15 yrs the parents have had a further 2 or 3.

Who cares what something looks like its about being durable not to be pretty unless its both of course.

Ive a kettle about 5 yrs and ill use it at least 10 times per day every day so yes ive tested it out and yes its built to last the darren durability test lol
                  FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinthepast77 View Post
                    things just arent made nowadays to last longer than their first year on the whole,due to their manufacturing processes,ie everything is made so cheaply and on the rush that it always goes wrong-thats why you still see so many electrical items from the 70s and 80s still going strong because,as the old cliche says-they dont make them like they used to!
                    It was much better when we made electric goods in the UK,all went down the pan when factories shut down for cheap products & labour in China

Comment

People want items at the cheapest price possible.Items are designed to fail after a specific numbers of uses because with so much choice and vast changes in popularity and trends they want you to keep buying the latest products.So much is made in china and shops want to maximise their profit percentage.New products get obsolete before they finish selling the stock that is produced.In the 30's 40's 50's the shelf life of eletrical items was several years.Now it is weeks, months at most.Some items like mobile phones they will keep bringing new models out but also still sell the last couple of models.Mobile phones re wildly overpriced if you want top models/brands.I have always said the british public are treated like sheep.This is because many are easily talked into upgrading/replacing perfectly good items because they want to keep looking trendy infront of their peers.This is just brainwashing if it is done just to keep up with the joneses!
                      sigpic

Comment

thats true lots of us buy from overseas where the quality is of sub standard.

i i guess todays generation are different to mine etc..
                        its all about how things look now even if they dont last as long.

Originally posted by memoman View Post
                        People want items at the cheapest price possible.Items are designed to fail after a specific numbers of uses because with so much choice and vast changes in popularity and trends they want you to keep buying the latest products.So much is made in china and shops want to maximise their profit percentage.New products get obsolete before they finish selling the stock that is produced.In the 30's 40's 50's the shelf life of eletrical items was several years.Now it is weeks, months at most.Some items like mobile phones they will keep bringing new models out but also still sell the last couple of models.Mobile phones re wildly overpriced if you want top models/brands.I have always said the british public are treated like sheep.This is because many are easily talked into upgrading/replacing perfectly good items because they want to keep looking trendy infront of their peers.This is just brainwashing if it is done just to keep up with the joneses!
                        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I normally keep things until they break, or if something a lot better comes along.

As long as you avoid the cheap ones I've found things will last a long time, hardly any electrics I've owned since the mid 1990s have broken.
                          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Latest iPhone/Blackberry/Samsung?
                            **** that. I'm alright with a fourty quid Huawei Y300 and a few back up Pocket PCs.

Just because something's obsolete it doesn't give manufacturers an exscuse to stop making it. I'm hoping to get hold of a Mini SD card (with adapter) but nobody sells them anymore and I think they've stopped being made.
                            Last edited by vanhelsing; 16-10-2014, 21:19.
                            WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by memoman View Post
                              Christmas is coming too and companies know plenty of gullable people out there will buy just for the next model upgrade.
                              I never fall for it I will keep my mobile phone until it no longer works to be honest I cannot stand gaget world

Comment

Working...
                              X