Superstitons or laws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superstitons or laws

The last school I was at had a 'law' that stated that the middle latrine was known as The Gay Bog and that Wally was a w****r.
    WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Re: Superstitons or laws

Both my Secondary Schools had many crazy superstitons and laws .. very wierd ones too. The ex-Head at my 2nd Secondary was known to rule with iron (which he did a good job of) even if he was a slightly overbearing controling sort in how he spoke to you and wished you a good day etc (like in a way some distant Uncle who only visited you from overseas once every 1020 years would chat to you). Though he was harmless the kids knew you never ventured on to the corridor near his office etc - unless he was paying you the ultimate praise. Of course the School being old did'nt help too. A lot of superstitions at my first Secondary (which was'nt an old building) hadf myths etc too that the older years "ruled" on the floors the higher you went - though of course it was all a myth etc, like shoving your head down the Toilet was in the First Year/Year7!! As if that a person's head could be shoved into a toilet fully (though in part I guess , yes I suppose is logistical)!!

Luckily or "not" ... pending on people's view-points the Head at my 2nd Secondary was finally over-run in a coop by annoying the Govenours once too much I heard, so any superstitions based on him died out I guess!! If his removal could'nt have happened to a nicer man though (I am unsurei in a funny way) given the strange but unique style he created the School in!!

80sChav

Comment

We had a similar stories when I started secondary about the older kids in our school and which years hated each year etc. and what they would do if you upset them. It's funny that our 1st year of heads office was also taboo to go near unless being either dragged there for some reason. It was just off the old hallway, the door tucked away in some dark corner.

Legends and ghost stories seem common in secondary schools. My secondary school had a legend of a secret tunnel which joined the old boy's school with the old girls school. Both had since been joined to form a more modern secondary school in the 60's.This legend was so persistent when I was there I can remember several boys regularly looking for traces of it. I have heard that the legend continued well into the 90's some 20 years after I left there, but have not heard of it in recent years so perhaps has since died out. We also had the ghostly caretaker who only seemed to haunt the old girls school part. He floats up and down the corridors cleaning the windows as he goes near the music rooms end, his feet several inches from the floor. It was always seen as bad luck if he turned up. Not to be outdone the other secondary school a few roads away had the Javelin man who was supposed to have been accidently killed by a miss thrown javelin. He runs down the school football field screaming with the javelin still sticking out of him.

Comment

Another superstition that did the rounds was "you'd be in trouble for anything with every Teacher" (though of course after 1st Year/Year 7 this was totally exposed as un-founded and we soon realised getting away with most things was easy (and to dismiss what he 5th Years/Year 11s said was basically rubbish). Though it never stopped the Year 8s also passing such theory's onto the Year 7s too.

As well another main (but may-be not exactly a superstition) that we had was the "you'll only have 7 (or a similar near-by number) of Chips ion your plate for lunch at Secondary school ... this did the rounds as a long running joke/superstition for about the last 2 Years or so in Primary School I seem t recall fairly well

80sChav

Comment

One thing at my secondary school was not to have chips on a wednesday as they would be fried in the same oil as monday & tuesday, & it's changed every 3rd day.

Another was if you typed a certain set of commands into a BBC Micro it would never work again!
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

As a child I lived in a village where there was a lot of belief in the supernatural (we had a local magazine about it, and a few buildings reported to be haunted, etc.) In particular there were reported UFO sightings and people believing that aliens landed in the fields. At my primary school, there was a boarded-up shed and the kids believed that the aliens hid their spaceship in it. It wasn't a very big shed so perhaps the spaceship was a TARDIS-style thing?

Comment

Working...
            X