Milkmen/women

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milkmen/women

Who still has their milk delivered to their doorstep?

Here in Christchurch we have two milkmen: One for Dairy Crest (Milk&More) and the other B&B local dairies. B&B deliver Mondays Wednesdays Fridays whereas Dairy Crest deliver Tuesdays Thursdays Saturdays. Dairy Crest charge 79p a pint but B&B undercut them by 11p selling theirs at 68p a pint.

My brother is a franchisee milkman for Dairy Crest and I sometimes help him on Saturdays from 3am to noon.When I told him we had defected to B&B due to price he said "Traitor" lol) I emailed Dairy Crest suggesting they drop their prices so as to be inline with B&B bit no reply as yet lol

As for milk floats there are still a few about such as these Cab Axes but more and more rounds are being serviced by Transits & LDV's
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Re: Milkmen/women

No the only milk round now is to offices locally

Comment

There is a wholesale division at Dairy Crest as well as Doorstep Dlivery division but as you say Amethyst most milk is sold wholesale
      sigpic
      Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

My parents still have a doorstep delivery, & my cousin's daughter who is 6, finds that very strange!
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
          There is a wholesale division at Dairy Crest as well as Doorstep Dlivery division but as you say Amethyst most milk is sold wholesale
          Tesco Sainsburys killed off the milk round with plastic bottles not the same

Comment

Aw milkmen with their clinking bottles early in the morning and back in the evening to collect the empties...the wee blob of cream at the top if you got it in quick enough before the birds pecked the lids open. Then a sign of Christmas on the way with the seasonal lids. Milkmen, postmen, breadmen, vegetable men, soft drinks men (we in Ireland called the mineral men) and the ice cream and shop van men. You could live alone in the country and still see a few friendly faces everyday.

Comment

i never see milk being delivered to ones door now.

not seen a milk van in many yrs full of bottles and the clink of them as they are put on your windowsill.

milkmen etc u had a bit of a chat with them too
              .i miss them times.
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Tesco put pay too them

Comment

MY DO I REMEMBER THAT THE FESTIVE MILK BOTTLE LIDS.
                  I THOUGHT IT A NICE TOUCH.
                  AND YES THE WEE BIT OF CREAM AT THE TOP ETC.

JUST AS I REMEMBER IT BELOW.

Originally posted by ann22 View Post
                  Aw milkmen with their clinking bottles early in the morning and back in the evening to collect the empties...the wee blob of cream at the top if you got it in quick enough before the birds pecked the lids open. Then a sign of Christmas on the way with the seasonal lids. Milkmen, postmen, breadmen, vegetable men, soft drinks men (we in Ireland called the mineral men) and the ice cream and shop van men. You could live alone in the country and still see a few friendly faces everyday.
                  FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Nope, did hear a milk delivery van a few years back, but not heard it in a while.

When I was a lad I used to work on a milk round (a few actually), the best was the milkman with a horse and cart !!!- great clip clopping down the streets riding on the milk cart - he also had cows in a shed in the urban area !

(You didn't mention rag and bone men, knife sharpening men........at least everyone still has binmen ?)

Comment

I still have my milk delivered by a trusty milkman. The milk seems to taste better from a proper bottle.

Comment

We had the milk delivered till about 2 yrs ago, was the plastic containers aswell. Had to put a stop to it when it became nearly double the price we'd pay for milk weekly.

As a kid I remember the clink of the bottles, each morning bar Sunday. 3 or 4 times the bottles came on Friday night, 74 cup final, 75 league cup final and a stag doo and wedding.

Comment

and the 'older/poorer' people used to get steri. in the Long necked bottles ...YUK

Comment

Originally posted by aaronoxford77 View Post
                            I still have my milk delivered by a trusty milkman. The milk seems to taste better from a proper bottle.
                            I agree with you Arran

All those crappy poly bottles

Milkmen even sell fruit juice in pint bottles
                            sigpic

Comment

I did see a glass milk bottle with orange juice in it, I didn't know any dairies still did it.
                              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                              X