Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Milkmen/women

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
    We only ever had silver-top milk, which had delicious cream at the top mmmmmm....
    A kid at my secondary school used to drink silver top milk at iftar during ramadan. He used to buy it off a family nearby that had milk delivered by the milkman. The rest of the year he had blue top milk in plastic bottles.

Comment

Re: Milkmen/women

Milk stopped being delivered in my home town in 60s or was it the 70s? I remember as a child hearing the "milko" cart rattling its way up our dirt street then the bottles tinkling as the "milko"dropped off his items at firstly the neibors and then our place. I have often wondered why milk was not later delivered in the electric carts like it has been done for decades in the UK. I also recall having a small bottle of milk every day at junior school. "drink your milk..it is good for you" the teachers espoused.

Comment

I do!!! I use the modern milkmen theyre so good, im an eco friendly freak so love this old fashioned esque method! they do other stuff too tbf xxx

Comment

I have wondered whether milkmen (and of course milkwomen) have been put out of business in recent years due to most people getting their milk from the supermarket? - the same with the baker with bread; the butcher with meat and so on.

I have to admit that I have not seen milkmen for years; very much a 20th century thing. And it was the Co-op that supplied the milk.
          I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
          There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

My Mum still has milk delivered by a local dairy.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I am someone who switched to UHT milk as a result of the 2020 lockdown because on some occasions it went off before I had time to finish it. I wonder whether anyone thinks that getting milk straight from the milkman has their milk a lot fresher and lasts longer rather than getting it from the supermarket?

On the other hand, the Co-op was both a supermarket and a dairy, and so by implication, it more or less came from the same place?
              I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
              There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
              X