Half Crown
    10 Shilling note was a brown colour
    £1 notes were green
    £5 notes were blue
    Cant remember £10 or £20 notes lol

Re: Pre Decimilsation

Were there tens & twenties back then? I'm sure fifties weren't
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

IIRC £20 notes came in early 1970s, probably the same time decimal coins did.

I just about remember half pence coins before they were withdrawn, & can only remember spending a £1 note once before they were withdrawn.

Also I just remember 20 pence coins coming in.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

When they got rid of the 10 shilling note and replaced it with 50p coin

I couldnt understand the guineas it was confusing

Comment

Those white fivers, my Grandad had folded into a little squares, stuffed into his mattress because he thought if he put it in a bank & that bank was robbed he would lose his money I think like now back then the bank covered it. Isn't it £60k they cover? Over that you lose the rest?
          sigpic
          Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
            I couldnt understand the guineas it was confusing
            I believe this was the breakdown:

12p = 1 shilling
            2 shillings = 1 florin
            2/6 = 1 half crown
            5 shillings = 1 crown
            20 shillings = £1
            1 guinea = £1/1/0

And I recall reading somewhere that the price of high end items were traditionally expressed in guineas.

Comment

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
              I believe this was the breakdown:

12p = 1 shilling
              2 shillings = 1 florin

2/6 = 1 half crown
              5 shillings = 1 crown
              20 shillings = £1
              1 guinea = £1/1/0

And I recall reading somewhere that the price of high end items were traditionally expressed in guineas.
              Thank you but Im glad we dont have to deal with that again

Comment

Guinea today is £1.05

It was actually a con invented by antique dealers and the like so they recieved a shilling extra on each pound
                sigpic

Comment

I can remember most of the smaller pre decimal coins up to a Florin in mums purse. Have no memory of the bigger values. The coins seem ,looking back big and bulky. Thinking of the decimal system the half pence seemed out of place with it seeing it worked on units of 10.Perhaps the half penny was the last pre decimal coin in circulation which somehow got adopted into the decimal system.

Comment

I think the half penny was useful for converting the £-S-d prices to decimal ones, but by the 1980s it had done it's duty.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Do you remember they kept the sixpence for a while was it value around 2 and half pence

Comment

Yes Amethyst it was 2 and a half pence in decimal coinage, half a shilling or half a 5p
                        sigpic

Comment

I am surprised that they havent got rid of the schrapnels of pennies

Comment

well I suppose they need them so as to make a 100 of them for a pund so they are the single multiples. Like 100 cents to a Euro or Dollar
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
                              well I suppose they need them so as to make a 100 of them for a pund so they are the single multiples. Like 100 cents to a Euro or Dollar
                              Fair point

Wait until we get the plastic money in force is it a good or bad thing,the scammers would get round it I suppose

Comment

Working...
                              X