Elderly Relatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elderly Relatives

Is anybody having to look after an elderly relative,and is finding it hard and a strain.Your not the only one with an ageing population some people are finding it hard to cope.

Re: Elderly Relatives

Nowadays it's too easy to dump elderly relatives in nursing homes whereas years ago they moved in with us in the attached granny annex (usually the converted garage)
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
      Nowadays it's too easy to dump elderly relatives in nursing homes whereas years ago they moved in with us in the attached granny annex (usually the converted garage)
      They can kick up a fuss about going into a home,nobody knows the strain of it unless they have been through the expeierence themselves

Comment

Very true Amethyst
        sigpic
        Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Absolutely, I remember how awful it was for my parents when my gran was alive. She was very stubborn and would not visit a doctor or accept any help like a home help or meals on wheels and would not even have a telephone installed. Certainly would not entertain going into a home. She was house bound. My parents had to look after her as that was all she would accept but between work and looking after our family too it was an enormous strain. In the end she got senile dementia and was a danger to herself, my parents went to the authorities to see what could be done and were basically told nothing as they needed consent from her to do anything! This was the 90's I hope things are better now in these situations.
          1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
            Absolutely, I remember how awful it was for my parents when my gran was alive. She was very stubborn and would not visit a doctor or accept any help like a home help or meals on wheels and would not even have a telephone installed. Certainly would not entertain going into a home. She was house bound. My parents had to look after her as that was all she would accept but between work and looking after our family too it was an enormous strain. In the end she got senile dementia and was a danger to herself, my parents went to the authorities to see what could be done and were basically told nothing as they needed consent from her to do anything! This was the 90's I hope things are better now in these situations.
            I can sympathise with you when they cant make decisions for themselves then it should be a case,that they should be in a home only so much families can do,but it does drag you down and make yourselves ill.
            Look after your own health otherwise families could be in their boxes before them with all the strain.Before the changes in the 60,s & 70s once the doctor got involved he would sign them into a home for their own safety.

Comment

My mum in law who is 93 has had a fall today in her house,the gentleman that delivers wiltshire farm foods knock the door a few times,then he looked through the letter box and saw her lying at the bottom of the stairs.She was in A & E for 4 hours before the doctor could look at her.Went down for xrays and more waits.She has fractured her ankle twice,a broken wrist,they want to operate but cannot because of a heart murmur.So they have temporary put a plaster on the ankle until the morning and then decide whats to do next.

Comment

Working...
              X