Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: places in th UK you would love to visit and why

Originally posted by darren View Post
    Would love to visit the street shop where open all hours and still open all hrs is filmed.

im pretty sure its the same e
    xact shop and street for both.

Thnx george for reminding me of this thread.
    I don't remember reminding you about this thread, but my pleasure if I did!

Funnily enough, I would love to get the Ferry to Northern Ireland one day and perhaps see Belfast - I believe that things have calmed down in the past 20 years over there and so it would make a great place to visit one day.

My late father was born in Doncaster where (Still) Open All Hours was filmed - I have been up there a few times, but never seen Lister Avenue where the shop was.

I have been trying to visit Hull and Cardiff but never seem to get round to doing so.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
      Newcastle upon tyne because of Auf weidersen pet
      Being a Central TV series, I am certain that a lot of the series was actually filmed in Nottingham. Ironically, there is a YouTube clip online with some Tyne Tees continuity into an episode...
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
        I’m told that a few days In Edinburgh is a must !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        Very much so!
        Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
          Watched a programme recently which saw David jason revisit the arkwrights shop, it's now a barbers shop or hairdressers if i'm not mistaken, don't believe it was ever a grocers
          I don't think it was. Mind you, aren't barber shops and hairdressers meant to be the same thing, where one gets their hair cut? Or are hairdressers different as they are focused on women a lot more as they provide perms, blue rinses and all that?
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
            Bath & Cambridge, both look nice but I've never been to them.
            I can highly recommend Bath, having been there a few times. Also, we paid a flying (punting) visit to Cambridge a few years back - total fun!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
              I don't think it was. Mind you, aren't barber shops and hairdressers meant to be the same thing, where one gets their hair cut? Or are hairdressers different as they are focused on women a lot more as they provide perms, blue rinses and all that?
              See #15
              Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                See #15
                I have.
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I have been to a fair few places - but East Coast wise I have only been as far as the Metro Centre and would like to see Newcastle/the Northumberland edge of Newcastle

South and North Shields have always held some rustic old fashioned charm that I want to enconter - as it's inspiring both are so near such a big Mteroplois as Newcastle as Seaside Resorts and I can not think of any other City's/Large towns like Newcastle that are so nr to Resorts as such

Southend is a place i have always fancied - as it seems and olde worlde Seaside Town that is still going fairly well in the Grand Scheme of things and has not declined like others. Other parts of wales deeply interest me as does Northern Ireland - more so thanks to my good friend Darren's pictures on here that are awe-inspiring and make me crazy for seeking out more through the amazing invention that is Google Earth. Both the West and East of scotland also appeals and may-be right up North Scotland towards the Mountains and the likes - but I do partculary like the West Coast and have ever since my only visit to Scotland as a kid 32 years a-go when oit rained every day but Thursday and the Sun Shone every night 9not on TV though as A-Ha said!!)

That Wesrt Coast is such a contrast to how I envisage other Scotland Areas and Districts - I loved the Pebbled Beaches there on that side and qauint Harbours with little Jetty's you could take your car on in part. I can recall we borrowed my Grandad's Cortina Estate and it really enjoyed the run it got (not as she was much of a Motor) but like seeing an old Capri (Afie style 2day) ita ll evokes old memories straight up!!

80sChav

Comment

This iis tantamount to a terible sin for me as an Hounorable Yorkshire-Man - I should/should've visited it no doubts and made more of an effort

I recall reasding once David Jason was there filming and there'd be consessions made for Autographs and as he is my hero along with Nicolas Lindhurst (not that he's in OAH/SOAH) I really should've visited - if only to look. These 2 are 2 of my 3 encompassing John Cleese as the other as the best English Actors ever!
                    80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                      Southend is a place i have always fancied - as it seems and olde worlde Seaside Town that is still going fairly well in the Grand Scheme of things and has not declined like others.
                      I have been to Sahfend a few times. It has its merits - the pier, obviously - but it has not aged well.

Also, I have been reliably informed it suffers from a violence problem after dark so I would avoid pubs at night.

Oh and don't risk swimming! Yuk!

Comment

I wish I could visit Leeds someday as my Mum's family all came from there; there are streets with the family names in the west, and I think still a farm in the southern part. Anyone want to figure out how to get me from Victoria in Canada to over there without flying? I'd have to take a days long train to the Atlantic and then probably another to New York city then a week or more on a ship, who knows what kind... okay just pop some doctored jelly babies in me every hour, the ones for calmness, and then tell me I'm on a train... paint some ewes in paddocks on the window shade.

I'll go there and someone from Yorkshire can take my place here! We also have oak trees and rain, and most of the Tesco's and Peek Frean's biscuits. I did buy some videos about walking the Bronte trail and that might be something for me to do, even though I've no ancestry in those particular parts it did look nice and Emmerdale-ish.
                        My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

Beccabear, the only ship I know of that makes transatlantic crossings from New York to Southampton is the Queen Mary 2. It costs about US$1299/C$1745/£1000 per person.

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                            I have been to a fair few places - but East Coast wise I have only been as far as the Metro Centre and would like to see Newcastle/the Northumberland edge of Newcastle

South and North Shields have always held some rustic old fashioned charm that I want to enconter - as it's inspiring both are so near such a big Mteroplois as Newcastle as Seaside Resorts and I can not think of any other City's/Large towns like Newcastle that are so nr to Resorts as such

Southend is a place i have always fancied - as it seems and olde worlde Seaside Town that is still going fairly well in the Grand Scheme of things and has not declined like others. Other parts of wales deeply interest me as does Northern Ireland - more so thanks to my good friend Darren's pictures on here that are awe-inspiring and make me crazy for seeking out more through the amazing invention that is Google Earth. Both the West and East of scotland also appeals and may-be right up North Scotland towards the Mountains and the likes - but I do partculary like the West Coast and have ever since my only visit to Scotland as a kid 32 years a-go when oit rained every day but Thursday and the Sun Shone every night 9not on TV though as A-Ha said!!)

That Wesrt Coast is such a contrast to how I envisage other Scotland Areas and Districts - I loved the Pebbled Beaches there on that side and qauint Harbours with little Jetty's you could take your car on in part. I can recall we borrowed my Grandad's Cortina Estate and it really enjoyed the run it got (not as she was much of a Motor) but like seeing an old Capri (Afie style 2day) ita ll evokes old memories straight up!!

80sChav
                            North Shields is my home town 😁 most people have never even heard of it! I wouldn’t really say it has rustic charm lol but the fish quay area is decent although getting redeveloped now and losing the old fashioned scruffiness it had when I was a child. South Shields is a seaside resort but North Shields isn’t. Round the corner there is Tynemouth which is worth a visit and further along Whitley Bay which was very much the main seaside resort for years but as with most places has declined over the decades.
                            1976 Vintage

Comment

Is there anyone on here who has actually visited that titan of British cities (and my hometown) Nottingham, and have lived to tell the tale, or would like to visit Nottingham in the future?

Perhaps get a selfie next to the Robin Hood and Brian Clough statues? Or go shopping in the Victoria Centre? (I sound as if I work for Tourist Information in the city, don't I?)

And don't forget, Nottingham Castle is a lot closer to Nottingham than Leeds Castle is to Leeds!

(One cannot blame you if you haven't or don't want to...)
                              I'm having so much fun
                              My lucky number's one
                              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I went there about 50 years ago ... I was obsessed with Robin Hood ..

Seem to recall being photographed next to a statue of him ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X