hillards supermarkets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: hillards supermarkets

In the late 70s on cold, rainy evenings, my Mum and Dad would take me to Heckmondwike to collect my Dad's wages every Thursday. We would then do the weekly shopping at Hallards pictured here;

Attached Files

Comment

Where I grew up in Marple had a Dee's Discount, which became a Gateway (as did the local Finefare), & a couple of other names (Healds, Freezepoint) before eventually becoming an Iceland, which it still is.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Hillards in Hull Road, York. (Image taken from York Press, who have just run a series of pictures of old shops in the city).

Attached Files

Comment

Taken (shamelessly) from the Wiki Page. There was a bit of info on the "Memories of York" Facebook Page a couple of years back, including photos, but unfortunately it has disappeared (spent several hours trawling back this afternoon).
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tim View Post
            Hillards in Hull Road, York. (Image taken from York Press, who have just run a series of pictures of old shops in the city).

I recall them well Tim ..... or at least the 1 local to me anyhow

Great find with the pic here mate - it looks so cool as if it was an old Factory or Pub Brilliant indeed!!

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
              I recall them well Tim ..... or at least the 1 local to me anyhow

Great find with the pic here mate - it looks so cool as if it was an old Factory or Pub Brilliant indeed!!
              It was apparently a print works before becoming York's first supermarket in 1969, and earlier than that an engineering place (what they made, I don't know). It is still a supermarket today (a Co-oP), although it has been allsorts in between, including a Frank Dees; Tesco; Grandways; Kwik Save and Somerfield. I remember going there with my grandparent's when I was very young - it ceased trading as Hillard's in the mid-80's as all the stores were bought out, I think by Tesco - although it wasn't a Tesco for long as there was a city centre branch only a mile away.

It really only keeps going today as it's close to the University and many of the H.M.O. properties the students live in, so it's convenient for them. It's nowhere near the size of the out of town superstores where most households tend to shop. Back in the 1980's, though, it seemed massive compared to our "local" shops (one of which was a "Walter Willson" convenience store - anyone remember those?)
              Last edited by Big Tim; 03-01-2017, 17:22.

Comment

Working...
              X