Bottom: A Tour of Richie and Eddie's World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottom: A Tour of Richie and Eddie's World

I was originally planning to post this on the "Places in the UK You Would Like to Visit and Why" thread but thought that it deserved its own thread.

As a "Bottom" fan I'd love to visit the Hammersmith/Shepherd's Bush area of London. It's interesting that Hammersmith/Shepherd's Bush* was chosen as the setting for the show because it was most likely familiar territory to Ade Edmondson and Rik Mayall as it's the area near the BBC Television Centre. Uncannily, there are several actual locations in Shepherd's Bush that seem to have served as reference points to Richie and Eddie's world.

Starting with the focal point: The Flat. While Richie and Eddie's Mafeking Terrace address (named after a Boer War battle) is entirely fictitious, there IS a Bloemfontein Road (named after another Boer War battle) off of Uxbridge Road and on the corner is a building that looks like just the kind of flat where The Boys might live. The entrance to the flat fronts on Bloemfontein Road (Mafeking Terrace).

Two blocks east of Bloemfontein Road on Uxbridge Road is Bush Hall which can easily be a stand in for The Lamb and Flag. In one of the episodes Richie sends Eddie to collect their dinner but uses the money to get drunk instead and blames it on the close proximity of the Lamb and Flag to the chippy. Right next to Bush Hall are two shop fronts that could accomodate a fish and chips shop similar to the Neptune's Palace referenced in the show.

A locale that would have been VERY familiar to The Boys: Shepherd's Bush Police Station. You can just imagine Inspector Grobelaar's car in the carpark.

In the episode where Richie and Eddie are planning to go on holiday to Doncaster and Bridlington, Richie learns that the bus station is a fifteen minute walk from the flat. Seventeen minutes walk from Bloemfontein Road and Uxbridge Road heading east is the Shepherd's Bush Station which could serve as a departure point for a Doncaster-bound coach. The Hammersmith Broadway Centre bus station would have been too far away, but more on that later.

*Though based on the locations referenced in the show it was more the latter than the former.

Re: Bottom: A Tour of Richie and Eddie's World

Part 2:

Also Eddie is a QPR fan. QPR's Loftus Road Stadium is just a short walk from both the BBC Television Centre and Bloemfontein/Uxbridge Road. And next is the approximate site of the iconic Bench seen in the show's opening credits. Off to the left is the Hammersmith Broadway Centre which in the opening credits was still under construction.

And finally, in this aerial view the location of The Window is marked by an X.

Comment

Hi Victor, great post! I always wondered where the Bottom opening credits location was as I lived in Hammersmith for a few years and often tried to find it. What do you think the white building is on the far left in the ariel shot at the end? It's odd because it's the only building there, but it doesn't appear to exist anymore on google maps. I thought it might be Bradmore House but it looks different...
      Attached Files

Comment

Big bottom fan here! ....wait a minute while i re-phrase that, Ahem, big fan of bottom here! don't rate it as high as the young ones but better than filthy, rich and catflap.
        I went to see Rik and Ade on the hooligans island tour...very funny with lots of improv which just added to the anarchy. I also saw rik on tour with Ben elton in the 80s performing as Kevin turvey, again very funny. We really lost a comic genius when Rik died.
        Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

The series was going to be called "Your Bottom" so that viewers could say: "I saw Your Bottom on the TV last night".

Quite clever, and it was just like someone who could have said about the Granada TV sitcom: "I was watching Watching last night".

Welcome to the forum, Stuart.
          I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
          There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
            The series was going to be called "Your Bottom" so that viewers could say: "I saw Your Bottom on the TV last night".

Quite clever, and it was just like someone who could have said about the Granada TV sitcom: "I was watching Watching last night".

Welcome to the forum, Stuart.
            After Henry was another title that caused trouble for continuity announcers, who couldn't say After After Henry without sounding daft.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

There was once two episodes of The Bill being scheduled back to back, and I suppose it was difficult to refer to them as "a double bill of The Bill".
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Thanks George! Haha, they should have called it "Your Bottom" !

Comment

I originally thought that it was also called Bottom because of the fact that the main protagonists in the series were at the Bottom of the social ladder and had no way of getting any higher in their lives.
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

That's what I always thought too, because in Contest Richie says "I think I've reached my bottom" I always thought that episode saw them at their most depressed and desperate as well. All their hopes and dreams scooped up in a "garlic-stained claw." lol

Comment

Working...
                    X