new discovery-interesting story!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new discovery-interesting story!!!!

was out yesterday with my 10 year old for a short walk near my house.well,as an ex bottle digger and kind of an english rick savage (ie that show american digger on quest lol) i still have that curiosity when building works are taking place,as things shall we say,can get disturbedthings from the past....
    just walking down the slope adjacent to the corderned off building site when i found an empty crisp packet.....prawn cocktail walkers crisps.not unusual you might say?well,this was,as the packet i could tell wasnt from their current design shall we say-it looks like something i remember from the late 80sso my spidey sence got tingling,and,low and behold,i stumbled on a refuse bag full of old wrappers and crisp packets!theres alsorts-mars wrappers when they were on special offer at 19p!a marathon wrapper,tudor crisps packets and lots more stuffobviously i need to clean them up and preserve them but i will and scan some up on here if they clean up well!
    i know,it probably sounds disgusting to collect them like this but they were free and i cant afford ebay prices lol
    most that have discernable dates on date from 1987/88!

Re: new discovery-interesting story!!!!

I've not heard of finding crisp packets like that, but I've known of bottle diggers for years, & remember seeing something on TV about someone who collected old drinks cans.

He used to dig around laybys to find cans from years gone by.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Nice find! Get em cleaned up and let's see a few pics!
      1976 Vintage

Comment

I found a packet from the 1970s (can't remember the brand now but the price was 3p) in some woods near where I grew up a few years ago and I was quite thrilled. Could me or one of my friends have dropped it? I kept it for a while but eventually chucked it away, wish i hadn't now.
        The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

My dad and I were digging out some conifers in his back garden, and wedged between one of them and the fence was a perfectly preserved empty Seabrook cheese and onion packet dated Oct 1986. Strange what you find when things are "disturbed" as you say...

Comment

Those pale green bottles with ball in the neck were found dug up in my dads old garden

Comment

hi amethyst,ive had hundreds of those old bottles like you discribe-they were called codd bottles after the inventor hiram codd-only got the one nowadays as its an early one and has a masonic inscription on ithi jedi-just been back to the sites boundry and found several old hillards margarine tubs and an old bottle of sunlight wash up liquid with a 9p off offer on the front-i think it dates to the late 80sgoing back later on as there are all sorts of old things kicking around!its amazing what you can turn up when workmen are around-Hi HG,i thought the same with these id found as i used to ply the route where i found them when i used to go to and from high school,and id regularly happily scoff a packet of monster munch or walkers ready salted on the way home!still cleaning them up everyone but as soon as i can ill scan a few on for you-i use a library computer so will have to check their limitations first:cry:

Comment

Thanks for your discovery too

Comment

found lots (and i do mean lots) of old crisp packets from roughly 1985-1997 in a wood near me yesterday-alas they are filthy and some are in terrible condition,but i will clean them up in stages-having a problem being able to scan up some of the crisp packets/sweet wrappers i found previously as the scanner in the library has a hissy fit every time i used it and its frustrating

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinthepast77 View Post
                    found lots (and i do mean lots) of old crisp packets from roughly 1985-1997 in a wood near me yesterday-alas they are filthy and some are in terrible condition,but i will clean them up in stages-having a problem being able to scan up some of the crisp packets/sweet wrappers i found previously as the scanner in the library has a hissy fit every time i used it and its frustrating

How great a find this is stuckinthepast77. Not as i collect Crisp Packets but it must be amazing to think that someone has left something for years that you have an interest in and you can restore them as such. I often imagine what it'd be like if I made similar discoveries of relevence. Great for you mate

80sChav

Comment

cheers matey,in the end ive totalled 29 packets-various names-rileys,xl,smiths,monster munch(one bag dated 1985 and a multipack bag dated 1993),champion crisps,kp,etc etc but strangely only one bag of golden wonder,from 1988 and in bad condition-golden wonder seem to be rare round here as one bag out of 28 others is unusual to say the least!i think ive totally covered the area i was looking in now,but will always be on the hunt for more old packets-golden wonder are on my hit list now

Comment

well,after a break ive been back and found tonnes more!a mixed bag of stuff-from crisp and sweet packets to shopping bags from long gone companies.they are pulling all this wooded area down soon so im trying to rescue as much as i can-even found two old deposit bottles.planning another rummage but taking more tools to get at things better-doing my best to preserve social history!

Comment

Working...
                        X