Radio times archive.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio times archive.

Hi all thought this would be of interest to everybody here. The Radio Times archive has gone online. You can check for BBC programs the day you were born.http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/
    Great little site and goes way back into the 1920's with listings through the 60's, 70's and 80's.I can see this site becoming very important for research into what was on the BBC TV stations and Radio over the year.

Re: Radio times archive.

Nooooooo ! I will need to go out and buy some wine now as I can well see me browsing this sight until way into the small hours !!

Excellent discovery..ty for posting it

Comment

Thanks for that
      The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
        Hi all thought this would be of interest to everybody here. The Radio Times archive has gone online. You can check for BBC programs the day you were born.http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/
        Great little site and goes way back into the 1920's with listings through the 60's, 70's and 80's.I can see this site becoming very important for research into what was on the BBC TV stations and Radio over the year.

Just spent a few hours looking at the old TV listings lol. Much as we on here love to say how much better " the old days " were, surely we can't apply this to TV in general. Closedown before lunch...closedown mid afternoon...closedown for the night at 11.35 pm !! Endless test cards...only 3 channels..come on..let's be honest it was rubbish. I'm not talking about the quality of individual programmes...for example who could fault Brideshead Revisited etc, but TV in general. If somebody had told me in 1976 when I was 14 that when I got older I would have 100's of channels to watch, catch up TV, TV on demand, box set TV series etc I would never have believed it. If you have the internet which we all do on here, sites such as Filmon.com give you 700 channels of free TV. I think this is one of those cases where " the good old days " certainly weren't.

Comment

I can certainly remember when there was nothing on TV between programs. Shutdown and test cards etc. And what about all those Spanish programs taking up valuable scheduling etc. It does make me realize that the reason we spent so much time outside as a kid was probably that there was at times nothing on TV at all, or not a lot for us anyway. I also have too many memories of old 1930's repeats like Laurel and hardy, Harold Lloyd, and Flash Gordon being on TV. Saying that there was some superb children's drama being shown back in the 70's of the sort which continued well into the 80's.

Comment

I remember when Channel 4 first started in 1982 (or it might have been ITV) they used to broadcast the engineering announcements from Crawley Court Winchester each morning at 5-45am which was the first programme of the day. Then later it was discontinued as the announcements went over to Oracle teletext
            Last edited by Twocky61; 17-10-2014, 09:07. Reason: Correction
            sigpic
            Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

I'm a bit young to remember full closedowns, but there seemed to be a few interludes between programmes until the mid 1980s, with some music & a caption card, pages from Ceefax or if you were lucky some cheap stock film clips.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I enjoyed looking at what was on Tele on my Birthdays in the late 70s/early 80s. Also, I finally found the broadcast dates of the Sherlock Holmes films that aired in the early '80s on BBC TWO. I loved watching these after getting home from school.

Comment

Thanks!
                  Shame they just didn't scan the issues so we could see the adverts & pictures

Comment

Thanks for that

Comment

This is going to be an extremely useful resource. The only drawback is that because it's a BBC project, only BBC listings are listed. I wish that in addition to the more easily searchable BBC listings, the project also included scans of all Radio Times TV listings in PDF format so we could look up the other channels. I very much doubt that will ever happen (what a massive task that would be), but still a brilliant resource.

Comment

Greetings to all. Found a old Christmas Radiotimes in the loft 1979...Thought it mnight be of interest.......http://youtu.be/AZ1W0AIxEoY

Comment

what a fantastic trip down memory lane this is a real nostalgia trip.

im going all goosebumpy.

Originally posted by lifeonearth View Post
                          Greetings to all. Found a old Christmas Radiotimes in the loft 1979...Thought it mnight be of interest.......http://youtu.be/AZ1W0AIxEoY
                          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Do not forget, unbelievable as this sounds, the Radio Times did not list other channels until the 1980s, as they were not allowed, so no use for programmes before then.

Comment

Working...
                            X