Tap Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tap Water

When did bottled water first start to become popular in Britain? I'm sure that shops did not sell it in the 1960s but several kids at my primary school used to drink it in the 1990s in preference to tap water. I thought it was a waste of money and a chemistry teacher made claims that bottled water contains all sorts of dissolved crud from the ground where it emerges from. Buxton Spring comes out of a tap in the middle of a railway yard in Derbyshire.

Comment

Perrier water became popular in the 1980s.

I don't remember still bottled water coming in before the second half of the 1990s.

I can remember someone being surprised I drank tap water on it's own.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Perrier water was served in British restaurants during the 1970s and became an upper-middle class household staple by the mid 1980s but it wasn't really a competitor to tap water because it was sparkling and flavoured versions were also available.

I'm intrigued to know at what point in time did common folk start buying bottles of still water, and more importantly, why?

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
          Ive always noticed drinking tap water from the kitchen is much nicer than tap water from the bathroom.
          Could be that your kitchen tap comes straight of the mains whereas your bathroom tap comes from a tank in the loft, thus could be home to dead animals/creatures?

Comment

You are advised not to drink the tap water in Lanzarote - not because it is polluted but it has lots of volcanic-related minerals in it and we are not used to it...
            Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

I did buys gallons of Perrier in 80's....I don't drink milk tea or coffee so Water and pop was my drink.....The flavours were lemon , or lime...then they said it contained nitrates or some such!! - didnt buy it after that.
              Volvic is my tipple of choice now....I can tell the difference between bottled waters and tap water...and it HAS to be cold.!!

Comment

i thought that was true of most houses tap water.
                And yes ur probably right.

Originally posted by mulletino View Post
                could be that your kitchen tap comes straight of the mains whereas your bathroom tap comes from a tank in the loft, thus could be home to dead animals/creatures?
                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
                  Could be that your kitchen tap comes straight of the mains whereas your bathroom tap comes from a tank in the loft, thus could be home to dead animals/creatures?
                  Is that true !?!?

My wife has always claimed that but it seemed too ridiculous for words .....

Comment

I thought the difference was cold tap water comes from the mains, and hot water from the tank? I always drank cold tap water growing up. My mum used to tell us not to drink from the hot tap as it sat in the tank for ages.

Comment

Good info here: http://dwi.defra.gov.uk/consumers/ad...lets/tanks.pdf

A lot of older places have Cold Water Tanks in the loft, these usually feed upstairs bathrooms but _may_ feed all cold water taps. Usually the Kitchen Tap would be connected directly to the mains.
                      If you're not sure if your's is mains or tank water, hold your thumb over the tap at full whack, if you can't hold back the flow, it's mains.

Comment

I remember my Dad telling me not to drink hot water as it had been sitting in the tank for ages.

Shows like The Young Ones & Men Behaving Badly had characters making hot drinks using water from the hot tap.
                        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

would not think it would do any harm if characters from them shows did it.

Altho hot water from the mains may have been better than from the upstairs tank same with cold tap water.

There does seem to be a taste difference tho.

By the way did you ever try it what ur dad said not to do.

Originally posted by richard1978 View Post
                          i remember my dad telling me not to drink hot water as it had been sitting in the tank for ages.

Shows like the young ones & men behaving badly had characters making hot drinks using water from the hot tap.
                          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post

Rat and pigeon add to the flavour of the water. Turns it into a nice meaty stock.

Comment

I was also told never to use the hot tap for drinks. Always have used the cold tap in the kitchen and boiled in a kettle.

On tap water quality, my wife has relatives in the Philippines. A few days ago 3 came down with upset stomachs and the runs. They had been drinking tap water, something I would never do over there.

Comment

In Lanzarote, they advise not to drink the tap water. Not because of any infectious nasties but that it's choc full of minerals we are not used to...
                                Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Working...
                                X