X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tap Water

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
    lol

I used to live in the Lancashire village of Hesketh Bank. In the local pub the old fellers came out with humorous antidotes; especially if you plied them with beer lol
    I love the Forest of Bowland area round Clitheroe. Lots of traditional log fire country pubs with good beer and nice old boys who talk a lot and are very welcoming to me as a ‘Bloody Southerner’.

Comment

The Forest of Dean too near Gloucester Silver Bear; a mining area where Rank Xerox was the main employer in the seventies before the Trade Union's killed it off & Ranks gave up and moved back to Welwyn Garden City

They sang local songs and read local poetry in the Forrester accent
      Last edited by Twocky61; 04-11-2017, 13:21. Reason: Letter Correction
      sigpic
      Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
        The Forest of Dean too near Gloucester Silver Bear; a mining area where Rank Xerox was the main employer in the seventies before the Trade Union's killed it off & Ranks gave up and moved back to Welwyn Garden City

They sang local songs and read local poetry in the Forrester accent
        Yes, I've been there. It's an interesting and atmospheric place where the locals think of themselves as neither English nor Welsh, but Foresters. There's a pub where I remember buying a round of drinks in England and carrying them across a bridge in the garden to drink in Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver Bear View Post
          I love the Forest of Bowland area round Clitheroe. Lots of traditional log fire country pubs with good beer and nice old boys who talk a lot and are very welcoming to me as a ‘Bloody Southerner’.
          When my old girlfriend lived in Nelson we often drove out country pubs in that area.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
            When my old girlfriend lived in Nelson we often drove out country pubs in that area.
            If I may tie this in with another thread in which you mention the Baltic region: outside a pub in Horton-in-Ribblesdale I once met a very nice and very old chap with a strong German accent. ‘You’re not from round here?’ I asked tentatively. He told me he was from Königsberg, a German city that is now in Russia as Kaliningrad. He was a former Displaced Person, probably a POW: there were many DP camps in Ribblesdale and Ribble Valley and many of the men stayed in the area, married local girls and integrated completely.

Comment

If I may tie this in with another thread in which you mention the Baltic region: outside a pub in Horton-in-Ribblesdale I once met a very nice and very old chap with a strong German accent. ‘You’re not from round here?’ I asked tentatively. He told me he was from Königsberg, a German city that is now in Russia as Kaliningrad. He was a former Displaced Person, probably a POW: there were many DP camps in Ribblesdale and Ribble Valley and many of the men stayed in the area, married local girls and integrated completely.
              Interestingly the Mum of that girlfriend was from a place that's now in Poland. Her family were evacuated to Hamburg at the end of the war, where she lived until going to university in London & meeting her Dad.

Comment

Interestingly the Mum of that girlfriend was from a place that's now in Poland. Her family were evacuated to Hamburg at the end of the war, where she lived until going to university in London & meeting her Dad.
                \
                There was a massive transfer of Silesian and Sudeten Germans after the War, some to the 'Russian zone' (DDR) and some to what became the Federal Republic. And a fair old number went to Australia as "reffos" (local slang for refugees) or North America.

Comment

I love the North of England: the culture, the accents and the dry humour really 'do' it for me. I also really like the friendliness. When I go 'up North' I feel that in a way I'm going home.

Comment

I love the North of England: the culture, the accents and the dry humour really 'do' it for me. I also really like the friendliness. When I go 'up North' I feel that in a way I'm going home.
                    It's interesting that my old girlfriend grew up in London & Bedford before moving to Manchester because of her job. She used to say how different it was to where she grew up.

Comment

That's absolutely right. I'm not at all down on London - it's a wonderful place (whatever you say up North), but I am more outgoing than most Southerners and that's one reason why I like the North and Northerners so much. They notice it as well and tell me that I'm "like one of us". Who could wish for a nicer compliment than that?

Comment

A couple of weeks ago, Severn Trent wrote to me and local residents and told us that our water supply was being worked on during the early hours, and that we may be getting discoloured water - they mentioned not using showers or baths, flushing the toilet, etc. This was to happen during the early hours when most people were asleep, but I still thought that as a tap water drinker, that should I need to go and buy the bottled stuff? I did feel that they were saying to me that I risk being poisoned if I drunk tap water while they were doing their work.

I am glad that they have finished their work, that is what I can say about the matter.
                        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I'd get some to use for now just in case. There was an issue with my in-laws' local water supply (in Australia) which got contaminated, the father-in-law ended up getting an UTI from it!

I remember as a kid sometimes seeing those little larvae things wiggling in the tap water sometimes.

Comment

It just occurred to me whilst reading some of these comments; I don't recall water bottles in the 70s. I am certain my parents never purchased water bottles.
                            When I am at the supermarket I am always bemused by the bulk purchase of water.
                            We just stick to a water filter.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonraker View Post
                              It just occurred to me whilst reading some of these comments; I don't recall water bottles in the 70s. I am certain my parents never purchased water bottles.
                              I prefer tap water to anything you can buy ...

Remember that midlands company last year that was filing their bottles from the taps and selling it on

Presumably it was a ex employee who dossed them in ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Moonraker View Post
                                I thought they were a 1990s thing to be honest apart from the posh stuff like Perrier of course - the first time I was familiar with them was when we started to have Evian and supermarket own name brand empty water bottles in the Biology lab at school where the monitors too turns to water the plants which were on the windowsill at the back of the room.
                                I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                                There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                                I'm having so much fun
                                My lucky number's one
                                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                                X