Christmas art crafts at school.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Christmas art crafts at school.

@80sChav Yes, it was less hectic and much more gentle. We are doing ourselves no favours with all the consumerism IMHO. I was going to add the string lampshade I remembered when talking about pasta shapes earlier, but then got tied up with the day's events. However I was astonished to see the very same idea popping up on the TV this p.m! How's that for coincidence? The designer's attempt failed (she used fabric stiffener with synthetics string) and so she ended up using wire over an exercise ball (pilates?) but I remember making a great if somewhat smaller one as a child using "seize" which I think was basically sugar dissolved and water, but do not know for sure. My Mum mixed it up, hence the memory gap (my excuse!) It was string over a large balloon, but see that others online use anything from wood glue to pva and flour! I think I may well have a go myself, with mini balloons. It would be a great "messy" for the children would really enjoy!

@amethyst Yes, the cards you can buy are amazing value for money. I have a packet of "window" cards I bought about 20 years ago which cost five times as much as they do these days. Sadly I feel the drop in price has to do with us chopping down the world's forests more than simple economics, but it certainly helps boost access to "affordable art" for everyone.

Another blast from the past "technique" is those gummed papers. I am trying to remember whether they were also supplied in pre-cut shapes, but am not sure. You know the same as the silver and gold stars we got for good and very good work? I am sure that we made cards and pictures using red, green, blue, black, brown and yellow squares, oblongs, circles which we licked and stuck to sugar paper. On the other hand I could be dreaming! I have such vivid dreams, I sometimes think what I have dreamt is reality! Ha! Did a quick search because I thought I was confusing them with felt shapes, but here are the very shapes!! Even the same packaging! Wow! Anyone else remember them?

Comment

Yes I think we had those in primary shool

Comment

We had this but not to a great degree!

I still have all 9most of the stuff) I made for my Mum. Great memories indeed - pasting things and making Cards and Xmas stuff and Crackers (from recycled Toilet Rolls was great). I'd be tempoted to say it would not be allowed now on Hygene and H&S Grounds - but I have it on fairly good authority it still is though!

I am so glad this kind of thing, can still happen for Kids these days, as doing such stuff with pastre was probably me at my hapiest - Blue Peter/Tony Hatre sytle!

80sChav

Comment

Only in primary school did I do any Christmas crafts. Lanterns, cards, crackers, not forgetting the Christmas party hat. Even one year making snow men out of toilet rolls and cotton wool. Good times we had in primary. But we also done craft items for other times of the year like Halloween and Easter being two I fondly remember.

Comment

Just remembered we all took part in gluing together strips of paper to make the paper chains as well.

Not forgetting the oranges tied with ribbons and covered in cloves with shelled peanuts attached with cocktail sticks.

Comment

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
              Not forgetting the oranges tied with ribbons and covered in cloves with shelled peanuts attached with cocktail sticks.
              Pomanders made from oranges and cloves were to hang in wardrobes, so we didn't stick on peanuts or anything other than some ribbon or string to hang them up! If you forgot, you ended up with a "drawer" version to help keep moths away from your socks and other woolies. We strung peanuts in shells to use as garlands on the Christmas tree first, then after 12th night (or whenever the tree was taken down) they were hung outside for the birds. It still do this with the children! The pomanders last for years and years! We have them in all suitcases, bedding storage, attic boxes and under bed drawers as well as the usual wardrobes and clothes presses. I add lavender and rose petals to "feminine" zones like my out of season clothes cupboard, to save everything smelling quite macho!

Comment

Working...
              X