Christmas art crafts at school.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas art crafts at school.

Hi All. I'm a newbie. Possibly a little older than most, so ignore me if I am an embarrassing elder

I was searching for an image of Affixofix paste when I came across this forum. Hence my new thread. This was the time of year when we really got into turbo production during art & craft lessons at school. Especially primary school, where the teacher would bring out (joy of joys) a new wallpaper sample book. I particularly remember a year when I managed to bag a pink and white candy-striped paper... Anyway, we seemed to have more time allocated to art and craft in those days and it certainly helped fill in those long drawn-out days anticipating Christmas.

And so a page of wallpaper + cardboard + postcard + calendar + ribbon hanger = main present for your Mum. Whilst Dad got a treacle or syrup tin covered in wallpaper full of spills - either home-made newspaper with a twist at the top or multi-coloured spills bought at the tobacconist's.

Does this ring a bell with you? I wonder if anyone has seen those little calendars around recently? I have not found anything useful online or in the shops. As I recall they came from a stationer's and cost around 6d (2.5 p) each. We do not even have a W.H.Smith's left in our town, let alone an independant stationer's, so a bit stumped on where to look.

We also made Froebel Stars aka German Stars using strips from the great wallpaper sample book. They started to get really good in the 1970s when really strong colours started to appear and no just wishy-washy pastel shades.

Was there anything else we made? Or you made? Had the Age of Blue Peter brought more sophisticated Christmas present-making for parents? I had the grands making paper chains last year, but it was not a great success. They could not see the point of making something which could be bought. It saddens me, because many skills were learned using our hands and simple tools. No wonder they cannot use a pair of scissors even yet!

Thanks for your time. I will look forward to hearing your input

Re: Christmas art crafts at school.

Originally posted by Piglet View Post
    Hi All. I'm a newbie. Possibly a little older than most, so ignore me if I am an embarrassing elder

I was searching for an image of Affixofix paste when I came across this forum. Hence my new thread. This was the time of year when we really got into turbo production during art & craft lessons at school. Especially primary school, where the teacher would bring out (joy of joys) a new wallpaper sample book. I particularly remember a year when I managed to bag a pink and white candy-striped paper... Anyway, we seemed to have more time allocated to art and craft in those days and it certainly helped fill in those long drawn-out days anticipating Christmas.

And so a page of wallpaper + cardboard + postcard + calendar + ribbon hanger = main present for your Mum. Whilst Dad got a treacle or syrup tin covered in wallpaper full of spills - either home-made newspaper with a twist at the top or multi-coloured spills bought at the tobacconist's.

Does this ring a bell with you? I wonder if anyone has seen those little calendars around recently? I have not found anything useful online or in the shops. As I recall they came from a stationer's and cost around 6d (2.5 p) each. We do not even have a W.H.Smith's left in our town, let alone an independant stationer's, so a bit stumped on where to look.

We also made Froebel Stars aka German Stars using strips from the great wallpaper sample book. They started to get really good in the 1970s when really strong colours started to appear and no just wishy-washy pastel shades.

Was there anything else we made? Or you made? Had the Age of Blue Peter brought more sophisticated Christmas present-making for parents? I had the grands making paper chains last year, but it was not a great success. They could not see the point of making something which could be bought. It saddens me, because many skills were learned using our hands and simple tools. No wonder they cannot use a pair of scissors even yet!

Thanks for your time. I will look forward to hearing your input
    Hi and welcome to a great forum. The only thing I can think of was a silver bell I made for our Xmas tree. It was one of those cardboard egg cups that you got when you bought a tray of eggs. Covered in silver foil with silver tinsel to hang it from. It has appeared on my mum's Xmas tree ever since. I made it in the 60's and I suspect she has secretly replaced it with a new one several times !!

Comment

Originally posted by Cooldeepblue View Post
      Hi and welcome to a great forum. The only thing I can think of was a silver bell I made for our Xmas tree. It was one of those cardboard egg cups that you got when you bought a tray of eggs. Covered in silver foil with silver tinsel to hang it from. It has appeared on my mum's Xmas tree ever since. I made it in the 60's and I suspect she has secretly replaced it with a new one several times !!
      Thanks Cooldeepblue. Lovely to see your own childhood reawakened every year... It is quite special. Would the tree be the same without? No! A lot of memories are stuck to that simple little bell. Remade? Not at all! Possibly just a replacement here and there. Tinsel does get tatty over time I have a clutch of bells my Mother made... She collected the tops of Bell's whisky for a couple of years then tied them all together on gold ribbons to attach to the door wreath. Very effective they were too! Shame they now have ordinary screw tops, so no more "bells".

Comment

I suspect my Xmas bell is somewhat like Trigger's ( Fools and Horses ) broom. The handle and broomhead have been replaced many times but it's still the same broom lol !!

Comment

That's it! Exactly!

Comment

Welcome piglet

I am sure that I made a lantern for xmas,also a calender made out of the dairylea cheese box with a small booklet with the months and dates attatched

Comment

We also made lanterns,cards and calendars, but the thing i remember most was making my Mum a fairy for the top of the tree.
              It was made with a white plastic cup for the skirt which I painted bright shiny blue and i think he head and body was a wooden dolly peg.
              I was very proud of her lol

Oh a a snowman sweet holder made of a cardboard roll and white cotton wool balls, we made coal eyes, carrot nose and scarf from that coloured gum? paper.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2015-Calen...item27ef207fe5
              Heather

Comment

Thanks Heather for reminding me we also made a snowman in primary class as you described

Comment

Oh, Heather, you doll, you! You have sourced exactly what I am looking for, you clever old thing you! MANY THANKS!! Off to battle with eBay and PayPal, but with a spring in my step!

Comment

No problem, I bought some myself a few years back for my kids.
                    Heather

Comment

Because we are on the subject

Does anybody make their own greeting cards.I have seen all the nice things in some shops and would love to have a go

Comment

I have been giving thought to what we made in the 70s & 80s seeing my calendars and spills were more from the 60s. Nobody has mentioned them, but I do remember making patterned pictures out of pasta shapes. Very new on the UK scene Fusilli, Penne & Co. were too... Before that all we had was macaroni. Even spaghetti was an exotic wrapped in dark blue paper and only available from posh shops as far as I recall! Can only find this solitary example online to jog memories:

Comment

Yes, I make Christmas as well as other cards, @amethyst, but I do not buy the bits and bobs available for "crafting". I prefer "real" home-made using various papers, old cards, used wrapping papers, magazines, paints, scissors, fancy pinking shears, glitter, ribbons, rollers, pens & inks, etc. I depend heavily on calligraphy too. I also collect Christmas cards for reuse. I have a box full for crafting with the children. Some papers and cards I hoard, because they are far too beautiful to use! LOL!

Comment

Wow Puglet - what memories seeing the picture brings back!! We did loads of Xmas things with these like Crackers etc

It sure returns my memory and thoughts to a much less hectic and more easy going/simple time in life!

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by Piglet View Post
                              Yes, I make Christmas as well as other cards, @amethyst, but I do not buy the bits and bobs available for "crafting". I prefer "real" home-made using various papers, old cards, used wrapping papers, magazines, paints, scissors, fancy pinking shears, glitter, ribbons, rollers, pens & inks, etc. I depend heavily on calligraphy too. I also collect Christmas cards for reuse. I have a box full for crafting with the children. Some papers and cards I hoard, because they are far too beautiful to use! LOL!
                              There are some lovely crafting stuff about the range store has a good selection.

I mean by making your own cards you choose the design you can get packs of 50 cards & envelopes for £4.50 which is cheap as chips
                              Last edited by amethyst; 27-11-2014, 20:54. Reason: forgot to add something

Comment

Working...
                              X