Buying your first home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying your first home

Our first home was an old semi detached house,the excitement of getting onto the property ladder over 30 years ago.It did need a lot of work but we didnt have the extra funds to do the work,So we moved in and did it up bit by bit.As we were both property virgins we gradually learnt the horrors of an old house,woodchip wallpaper hides a multitude of sins cracks damp black mortar etc.Wood paneling put on the chimney breast another thing put up to hide things.The previous owners put a long wardrobe against the main bedroom to find wallpaper coming off with damp.We realised what a dump we had purchased.So my husband said we will do it up as best as we can and sell it on.We did it took 7 years to do up and 2 years to sell.
    You learn by your mistakes and we said no more old houses.

Today people buy old wrecks maybe in auctions and have a extra budget to gut places and do them up from scratch.Which is the way to do it.but we had no choice move in and put up with what you got

Re: Buying your first home

Ive never had my own house asin owning it.

Neither have my parents even owned there house.
    Thats quite a story and had u known how long it would take to do up and sell the house would u both have done it.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Even the garden was a mess a dumping ground.But with a lot of effort I transformed a mess into a nice cottage garden area with plants & shruubs giving to us from families.

Getting woodchip off the wall took ages spraying the walls with water and a scraper no steam machine to get the rubbish off.Instead of coming off in sheets it was small bitswith a lot of patience every room in the house had it,so thats why it took so long to do and it was a tedious task

Comment

Have only bought one house nearly 20 years ago and still live in it, have spent a lot on it over the years new garage, windows, conservatory kitchen, bathroom the list goes on. would like to move as the area isn't all that great but its a fair sized house and my mortgage is pretty small

Most of all this is my kids home where all their childhood memories are so I don't think they would forgive us if we sold it now (will have to wait until they have all moved out then sneakily sell it and move abroad to somewhere nice and sunny .... I wish !!!!!!!! )
        Age is just a number - If yours bothers you stop counting

Comment

It's amazing the things you could do with an old house, I wish I could do this. Of course it does help if you're a builder by trade.
          http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ting-home.html

Comment

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
            It's amazing the things you could do with an old house, I wish I could do this. Of course it does help if you're a builder by trade.
            http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ting-home.html
            I have seen this chap before on tv

Comment

Working...
            X