Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budgie jackets ??

Hi Everyone, Ahoy Hoy..
    Does anyone have any recollection of, or better still, any pics of BUDGIE JACKETS please?
    I have seen suede type ones on the web, but I am talking about the two colour COTTON type jackets worn in Britain in the mid-late seventies.
    My mates all had them, maroon and black, green and black, white and black....you could name who had what colour.....any replies appreciated
    THANKS IN ADVANCE

Re: Budgie jackets ??

Originally posted by DSCOMAN View Post
    Hi Everyone, Ahoy Hoy..
    Does anyone have any recollection of, or better still, any pics of BUDGIE JACKETS please?
    I have seen suede type ones on the web, but I am talking about the two colour COTTON type jackets worn in Britain in the mid-late seventies.
    My mates all had them, maroon and black, green and black, white and black....you could name who had what colour.....any replies appreciated
    THANKS IN ADVANCE
    Interesting thread idea/topic Discman

I have not herd of Budgie Jackets as such .... what an unusual name! Do you possibly mean they are the same as WindRunners (as so much had regional diolect at one point and regional termonolgy. Sorry in advance if I a wrong/confused.

80sChav

Comment

FOUND THESE IMAGES ONLINE MATE.
      I MUST SAY ID NEVER HEARD OF THESE BEFORE

http://www.styleforum.net/content/ty...311/height/400

http://www.mendozamenswear.com/wp-co...800&w=900&zc=1

Originally posted by DSCOMAN View Post
      Hi Everyone, Ahoy Hoy..
      THANKS IN ADVANCE
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I had not heard of them too Darren, but can recall them now - though I'm unsure if I'd describe them as Cotton.

Very good indeed and stylish! Almost like something Basil Fawlty would wear!

Comment

They were made famous by Adam Faith in the 1971 TV series "Budgie".

Comment

Now I have seen the jacket I can place it. One of the older kids on the estate had something similar. I can see him in my minds eye cycling on his chopper bike up and down the street wearing it . Funny how I can also remember his slightly flared out ragged bottom trousers and bumper boots. He was a mates older brother and would of been about 15 or 16 when we were about 8 or 9 years old. It's a long time ago but I have a feeling it was two colored. My mates brother liked a lot of cowboy and western stuff so the jacket might of appealed to him in the modern style of the time. Just trying to remember the colors of the jacket?

Comment

Hi Guys, Thanks for the replies- BUT STILL NOT what I was thinking of.
              80's chav - No definately not windrunners
              Batty - you seem to be remembering them - that would have been the era/style
              The nearest is the pics from Darren - But the jackets were more like a hyrid of the two images - but IN COTTON, with an elasticated waist.
              Definately NOT suede or cordorouy !!

As I said, they were in two colours - Black and another colour on the same jacket.
              I know I AM NOT IMAGINING THEM - can anyone else help ?

Comment

There's a forum here talking about Budgie jackets.http://www.inthe70s.com/clothes/budgiejacket0.shtml

Comment

Ta Batty, at least a mention in the replies there THANKS - but they were NOT the suede ones around our way - we could only afford cotton....

Comment

This is the Budgie jacket I remember. Sorry about the quality but original photo was blurred - it wasn't me!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Here's a budgie jacket, although the ones I remember from the early 70's had an elasticated waist, more in the style of a bomber jacket.

Comment

Hi Gill, Thanks for the photo.......I remember this I think...were they Lumberjack coats though - fur collar and wool type material ? - this looks like it has at least two 'chevrons' ?
                        The Budgie jackets we had were Cotton- and distinctive, with one BIG chevron type shoulder/chest piece and round collars...the search continues....

Comment

Working...
                        X