Corporation Pop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corporation Pop

Anyone remember the name 'corporation pop'? It cynically refers to simple tap water but I've not heard this said by anyone for ages, maybe 30 years. Anyone still use this term or when was it last heard by you.

Re: Corporation Pop

I've heard of it, but only in a historical context.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I've heard it too, but like Richard only in recent years and only in a historical context. I can't remember anyone ever referring to it when I was young.
      1976 Vintage

Comment

I have mentioned this somewhere else in a thread, but I remember being about 4 years old and walking in my Nan and Grandads and saying 'I'm thirsty' my Nans reply was 'well there's plenty of Corporation Pop in the Kitchen' then my Mum saying 'she means water from the tap'.
        I remember being so disappointed as I though she was offering me "pop"

I heard my Grandparents and parents say it many times after and I've even said it to my kids
        Heather

Comment

wow i cannt remember hearing this term before as in referring to water does noit mean i never heard it.

i can imagine u thought u where getting lemonade and how sad u where what a great meory tho.

that was my first thought when i saw the words corporation pop.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Yeh, I remember hearing my older brother first asking me if I wanted some 'corporation pop', then handing me a glass of tap water - must have been in the late 70s that I first heard it.

Comment

I heard it once or twice when I was a kid from a friends parants. They also called it Council pop. Wondering if the term came from the 40's or 50's when war time rationing was still in force?

Comment

I use to ask my grandad for some pop snd when he gave me a glass off water i use to think gosh what this lol
                THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

Definitely do.....if the Alpine man hadn't been and we'd drank all the Cherryade/Cream Soda / Dandelion and burdock / LIMEade !!! ----- mum used to say "you'll have to make do with corporation pop"

Comment

I was an Alpine Man !
                    My first job at 16 (so more of an Alpine Boy really).
                    £16 per week.
                    I remember going to work once in "Birmingham Bags" and the pockets emptying all over the cab floor as I climbed back into the lorry.

Good times...............

Comment

A little OT but I presume they were like Oxford bags.

I don't remember any pop men near me when I was young, but my parents had a bottle or 2 that had never been returned.

The shop near to my primary school used to sell them & would give a deposit for the empty bottles.

Certainly some there was still a fairly local company delivering, as I remember seeing some houses with pop bottles next to the milk ones, maybe the local milkmen also delivered pop. I've heard of Unigate doing that.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Hi Chipito, Boy you were worked hard weren't you guys. The deliveries were of a night were we lived.
                        Dashing about RUNNING with bottles !! - and the vans were cool - but you guys always seemed in a rush. Sometimes we missed you and had to make do with bottles from the shops.
                        Any flavours you recall ?

Comment

Working...
                        X