I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Just over two weeks ago i rescued a baby pigeon my cat had caught.
    The cat had taken a bite out of the bird's back between it's shoulders and it's neck.It had done the same thing a week previously to another bird which died
    a day later so i wasn't expecting this one to survive,but survive it did.
    The wound on it's back had healed and new feathers had covered it up to the point where i thought i would release it in a couple of days time in a different area.
    No point releasing it here as there are too many cats in the area.
    Anyhow,when i went to feed it this morning i found it dead in it's water container. I assume it must have fallen in and couldn't get out
    There was just over a cm of water in the container. (or about half an inch for those who do not use the metric system.)
    I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

Re: I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Wasted
    Makes a nice pie

Comment

LOL
      Never tried pigeon pie myself but the bird was so small there would have only been a spoonful of meat on it.

I could always dig it up and send it to you. The maggots on it would make it a slightly bigger meal and add to the flavour

Comment

Originally posted by stud1al View Post
        The cat had taken a bite out of the bird's back between it's shoulders and it's neck.It had done the same thing a week previously to another bird which died
        The wound on it's back had healed and new feathers had covered it up to the point where i thought i would release it in a couple of days time in a different area.
        Anyhow,when i went to feed it this morning i found it dead in it's water container. I assume it must have fallen in and couldn't get out
        There was just over a cm of water in the container. (or about half an inch for those who do not use the metric system.)
        Cats will be cats

Comment

How sad Al - it was so great you could do this to try and save both Pigeons/ If only ore people cared like you did - the world sure would work better!

Are you a Pigeon lover ?, I am not a keeper of them but sure love them indeed
          80sChav

Comment

Try putting a bell on your cats collar so the birds hear it coming
            Heather

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
              How sad Al - it was so great you could do this to try and save both Pigeons/ If only ore people cared like you did - the world sure would work better!

Are you a Pigeon lover ?, I am not a keeper of them but sure love them indeed

80sChav

Hi cobber and thanks.
              I have had pigeons of my own ,yes,as well as many other different animals including horses, a donkey,goats,chickens, rabbits,guinea pigs,mice,fish,lizards,a duck...you name it and i have had it.
              I am animal lover.Hate people but love animals.That's me.

Comment

I keep pigeons its the racing year now so there will be loads about some do get lost get hurt by hawks ppl shooting them there tier and go for drinks and the cats take them good on ya to try save it

Hi cobber and thanks.
                I have had pigeons of my own ,yes,as well as many other different animals including horses, a donkey,goats,chickens, rabbits,guinea pigs,mice,fish,lizards,a duck...you name it and i have had it.
                I am animal lover.Hate people but love animals.That's me.
                THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

My sister found one hurt but it sadly was put down.

Comment

Originally posted by Heather74 View Post
                    Try putting a bell on your cats collar so the birds hear it coming
                    Sorry Heather.I scrolled down too last last time and missed your post.
                    I did try to do that but the cat catching the birds is hard to handle.I have been bitten twice and scratched many times.
                    it wasn't mine to begin with, you see.it was the neighbour's cat.

Thanks xmark.Good luck with your racing pigeons.

Yeah,batman.I have called animal rescue a couple of times about injured birds but they generally die.

Comment

To explain about the cat.It was the next door neighbour's cat originally but it would come into my garden and eat the food i put down for my own cats.
                      It ended up having it's kittens in my garden.Kittens which i had to feed and look after until i could find homes for them.Then i paid to have the cat desexed as i didn't want the worry of having another lot to feed and get rid of.
                      As i had paid that money for the op i decided to adopt the cat but like i said,she is difficult to handle.

Comment

I guess it wasn't meant to be.

My friend worked in an animal sanctuary many years ago on the cat section . You can only imagine how MANY times she was scratched by cats ... anyways one day for some reason one of the cats actually BIT her on the arm .. it's pretty unusual to get bitten by a cat .... Well her arm swelled up about 3 times the size and was unbelievably painful .. ended up in hospital and was off work for 6 weeks !!

One of the doctors said that when they bite and break the skin of anything like a bird or a rat or whatever .... it sends a kind of liquid into the bloodstream which effectively paralyses the prey !!

Sounds bizarre but that's what she was told ... Thing is we've noticed over the years that any bird we 'save ' from a cat attack usually end up flopping around uncontrollably ......
                        Last edited by Zincubus; 08-04-2015, 08:29. Reason: edut

Comment

An ideal way to protect birds is with a pellet gun. Shoot those moggies

Seriously though a water pistol works just as well on cats
                          sigpic
                          Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Tis the nature of the beast I'm afraid 3 years ago we took in a stray and it annoys me when I catch him eating his prey... in saying that, it seems to get less and less
                            each year, He has a safety collar with bells on but at the end of the day, a Healthy bird could never be caught, His main catches are the young and the old, ( I Hate when he get's the young birdies,
                            I have managed to save a few)....saying that, I also hate it when he get's the old ones too, I feed the wild birds daily, but I soon noticed the cats in the area were all lying in wait under my leylandi
                            tree's waiting for unsuspecting birds, I sorted that out with plastic netting along the bottom of the tree's, that way, they cannot pounce out,
                            keeping them inside is the only way to stop them, but at the end of the day it's just nature at work.
                            DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

Working...
                            X