No announcement yet.

Playground games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We played the exxact same game but it was called Hom pom. Now that is a good game. I think I'm going to teach it to my kids so they can play it with their friends in the playground before school starts. they were playing 'stuck in the mud' this morning and some of the Mums were freaking that their kids were actually running around....touchy witches

Comment

Marbles; spending most of the play time on one game there were small marbles, large marbles. and those with three colours, everyone seemed to have a small sack full of them, then it changed to "up the wall" throwing coins to see who could get the nearest, there was a local factory that made watches or something cause there was always hundreds of metal disks about the size of an old two bob bit, so the sacks of marbles were replaced with sacks of metal disks.
      One game we all play at infant/junior school was sitting in a circle one person would get up and go around the circle with a hanky, I think the poem was:
      " I sent a letter to my love and on the way I dropped it, someone must have picked it up and put in their pocket.......was it you or was it you etc" they would then drop the hanky behind someone and then ran around the circle of people, at the same time the person who the hanky was dropped behind would have to pick it up and chase the other person and catch them before the got back to the space in the circle.

The other game was WAR, two friends link arms and started chanting "Whos playing war" walking around the playground, as others joined they would link arms until most of the boy population of the school had joined, then you would split into two sides and proceed to kill each other with invisible guns and knifes, with the added avantage over real war that once you had been killed one of your mates could touch you saying "released" and you could get back up and start fighting again.

But then we are talking between 36/38 years ago

Comment

We played a very primitive version of dodgeball (until the dinner ladies caught us). Seven or eight of us lined up against a wall and someone threw a tennis ball (some one wanted to try one of those little super bouncy balls but was voted against)at the wall and you had to dodge it.If you were hit you came away from the wall. Last one against the wall was the winner and took over the throwing. If the person throwing didn't like you it was hard work. And some one had to keep an eye out for the dinnerladies.

did anyone else play bench ball in PE?
        If eight out of ten cats prefer whiskas, do the other two shave or wax?

Comment

we played the mob mob game but called it `tig` or `block`,ah great days!

Comment

"some one wanted to try one of those little super bouncy balls but was voted against"

What happened to them? Where have they gone?

Comment

Oh my God Tracking.... used to play this with the kids on the estate too. Another memory from the playground was when a few of the final year girls in primary school would all jump on the bench and start singing.....' Bring your allies tomorrow....its ally season now! For those of you around the country who have never resided in Lancashire.... allies are marbles. Th competition was fierce and the reigning champion was regarded with awe.
              sigpic
              Mrs Oggy
              ~~~*~~~*~~~
              Count your friends amongst the stars....
              And your enemies on the fingers of one foot!

Comment

Ok What was it Called? a Jumping game!

Ok ladies one for you....... we would play it with a minimum of three players. two stood opposite each other with a length of elastic looped round our legs and the third person would jump on, over, inside etc the elastic and all I recall of the ryhme that went with it is......... inside, outside, inside, on!
                sigpic
                Mrs Oggy
                ~~~*~~~*~~~
                Count your friends amongst the stars....
                And your enemies on the fingers of one foot!

Comment

Originally posted by dondons69
                  my favourite game was british bulldogs, and tracking.
                  Yeh loved British Bulldogs, think it was kinda like Charge of the Light Brigade, tracking was kinda like Hide and seek, but fun, and we used to play Pirates in school too, when you'd have all the gym stuff out, like tig(?) that was kool.

Comment

I used to like playing cats cradle the fun you can have with a piece of string or wool. I taught my six year old daughter to play it a few weeks ago but she can't play it at school because none of her friends know how to. Why don't children play these kind of games now?
                    Last edited by annie1; 17-10-2006, 11:22.

Comment

Chinese skipping we used to call the game with elastic bands. The rhyme I remember is England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, inside outside, inside, STAMP! Started off using normal elastic bands but then progressed to coloured ones to be ultra trendy!

Comment

We played Bumper cars, basically folding your arms and charging at people, marbles, kiss chase yep for obvious reasons, Swamps too, like long jump, but on concrete.

Comment

we played a game called Red Rover two teams stand opposide one another linking arms you shout red rover red rover we call name over and that person has to try to break through the linked team opposite.
                          Good Eh

Comment

Trains, where we ran around the school, holding on to the kid in front of you ?
                            I did it until I was 12, never being any good at sports.
                            Into the 5th Millennium & beyond...!

Comment

Two balls where you had to hit two balls against the wall while singing rhymes - throwing the ball over arm, under arm, under the leg, through the legs and so on. Great. Used to spend hours playing two balls against the side of my grandmothers house driving her insane with all the banging!
                              Last edited by tanas; 19-10-2006, 15:56.

Comment

I remeber that game. One of the rhymes I used to sing went
                                Winnie the Witch fell down the ditch ha,ha,ha,
                                She found a penny and thought she was rich ha,ha,ha.

cant remember any more.

Comment

Working...
                                X