Rubbish Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rubbish Collection

as I was saying, before editing time limit stopped me ......
    ..Found some pics, not very good but show the 'essence'

The first two are the bin carts themselves, and you can just make out 'rectangular' bins, these were carried by binmen to cart and emptied and the bin replaced back in your backyard wall in the Jigger/Entries. - (The first picture is actually a street cleaner, but these type of vans were used for household waste as well ?)

And the sketch is the electric man-pulled street cleaning cart -pulled by men in donkey jackets

THAT was work ! - contrast with today , wheeling a wheelie bin to an automated pickup bin lorry - and don't forget 'LID MUST BE CLOSED' or it's not getting taken - bah humbug

and no that is NOT me in the picture......

Comment

Proof of what it used to be like in the early 80s:

Comment

Why does the animated 'binman' tip the rubbish in the garden B4 Going to the cart with bin ? is that meant to happen, or is it being ironic

Comment

Originally posted by DSCOMAN View Post
          Why does the animated 'binman' tip the rubbish in the garden B4 Going to the cart with bin ? is that meant to happen, or is it being ironic
          Controls were a bit dicky on the Spectrum!

or maybe he didn't get a Christmas tip.

Comment

Did anybody ever have the SD Revopak continuous compactor bin trucks prowling their neighbourhoods?

Comment

As for milkmen/women we still have doorstep milk deliveries. Mainly Dairy Crest/Milk &More though there are also smaller independent dairies & suprisingly our local dairy B&B Dairy charge 68p per pint where as Dairy Crest charge 79p so B&B undercut Dairy Crest by 11p

Bin men: when I was eleven in Lancashire I would help our bin men (or now called Enviromental Operatives lol) during the summer holidays. They would pay me by way of sweets, lunch & pop
              sigpic
              Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
                As for milkmen/women we still have doorstep milk deliveries. Mainly Dairy Crest/Milk &More though there are also smaller independent dairies & suprisingly our local dairy B&B Dairy charge 68p per pint where as Dairy Crest charge 79p so B&B undercut Dairy Crest by 11p

Bin men: when I was eleven in Lancashire I would help our bin men (or now called Enviromental Operatives lol) during the summer holidays. They would pay me by way of sweets, lunch & pop
                Like most old occupations new titles seem more appropiate for 21st century the old name would have been council refuse collectors,or the ashmen.

Comment

Kids helping in any workplace is sadly no more what with Health & Safety legislation. One particular occassion helping our bin men I emptied the metal bin into the back of the truck & fell in with it. Before I could be crushed one of our bin men hit the emergency stop button & pulled me out & I was promptly told to sit in the cab with Trevor the driver. I expect even back then if I was injured or killed there would be a litigation case against the council
                  sigpic
                  Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
                    Kids helping in any workplace is sadly no more what with Health & Safety legislation. One particular occassion helping our bin men I emptied the metal bin into the back of the truck & fell in with it. Before I could be crushed one of our bin men hit the emergency stop button & pulled me out & I was promptly told to sit in the cab with Trevor the driver. I expect even back then if I was injured or killed there would be a litigation case against the council
                    Health & Safety these days

Comment

That's those sprouts for you lol
                      sigpic

Comment

good one twocky...u brought back memories of the lads round our way running after binmen etc, asking ' need any help mister'....glad u got to 'live the dream'....and IT WAS A DREAM THEN
                        do u remember the bins in walls?......and the coalmen with leather on the backs of jackets, sometimes even a cut-up sheepie.

Most of the rubbish seemed to be ash ?

Comment

I thought you had to be 18 to legally become a bin or recycling man. Secondary school kids have queried about it for work experience but then told that they can't legally do it.

Comment

Arran, we are talking BITD .....

Comment

Originally posted by DSCOMAN View Post
                              good one twocky...u brought back memories of the lads round our way running after binmen etc, asking ' need any help mister'....glad u got to 'live the dream'....and IT WAS A DREAM THEN
                              do u remember the bins in walls?......and the coalmen with leather on the backs of jackets, sometimes even a cut-up sheepie.
                              Most of the rubbish seemed to be ash ?
                              The local kids used to press the buzzer like on a bus to alert the driver he can drive on & the bin men would run after the truck bins in their hands to empty
                              sigpic

Comment

that's right buttons on the side near the back....
                                And roof racks over the cab to put bikes, and bulky items....and a teddy bear or some toy character stuck in the front grill

Comment

Working...
                                X