X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rubbish Collection

Poor teddy always got wet & cold
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

My Dad remember his local bin lorry used to have a collection of dolls heads on the roofrack, which must have been really creepy in the 1950s-60s.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I've seen it.......couldn't sleep for weeks.
        That was ace !!! - especially the one with the half closed eye

Comment

Some posh kids from my school lived on a housing estate with private roads and their bins were emptied by Biffa rather than the council. They didn't get recycling bins until around 10 years after everyone else did.

Comment

I remember when you just had one blue bin no others colours and metal bins as well with a handle on either side.
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Is there anywhere (apart from possibly very remote locations) that still doesn't have doorstep recycling collections? My area started doorstep recycling collection some time in the 1990s before I can remember but there definitely were areas that didn't have it even around 2003.

Comment

I remember the metal lidded bins! They were replaced (in Kent, anyway) with thick paper sacks that fitted into a frame. I remember experimenting to see if you could set fire to one with a sparkler (you could).
                We don't stop playing because we get old. We get old because we stop playing.

Comment

Interesting topic this.

I remember (as someone has already mentioned - see I did read the whole thread ) bin men or dustbinmen as we called them coming round the back of our house to get our rubbish in metal bins, of which one was for ashes. I also seem to remember the bin men having leather patches on their shoulders. They used to actually put the bins on their shoulders, too and shut the gate behind them on the way out. The ashes were put on a separate lorry. I swear they swilled out the bins as well, with what I don't know, lime solution maybe (?).

I also recall as a very small boy (and maybe slightly outside the remit of this board) open top lorries being used. Yep honestly open topped (or backed rather) the rubbish used to fly everywhere.

While we are on the subject, does anyone else remember the coalmen coming round the back of the house to fill up the coal cellar ? They had leather coat patches too. As a child I thought these guys were so damned cool albeit dirty.

Comment

Yes I remember the coalman with leather patches and his money bag

Comment

I remember well those old metal bins. The round lid had a handle so you could pretend it was a shield. I also used to pretend the bin was a dalek and shoot it with my air gun.

The dustmen would collect it from your garden and bring it back. Later we were supplied with plastic bin liners and the dustmen would take the bag out. Later still we had to take our bag onto the pavement and the dustmen would just throw them into the lorry. Now we have 3 wheelie bins of various colours and have to take them onto the pavement ourselves and bring them back.

Comment

Yes 3 different coloured bins it can clutter up the front street.
                        I keep mine in the backyard until its time to be emptied.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

but yes i think id rather have the old metal bins.

Was it not just ashes you put in them.
                        Yes i used em as a shield.

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                        i remember well those old metal bins. The round lid had a handle so you could pretend it was a shield. I also used to pretend the bin was a dalek and shoot it with my air gun.

The dustmen would collect it from your garden and bring it back. Later we were supplied with plastic bin liners and the dustmen would take the bag out. Later still we had to take our bag onto the pavement and the dustmen would just throw them into the lorry. Now we have 3 wheelie bins of various colours and have to take them onto the pavement ourselves and bring them back.

Comment

Back in the 1970s, in the Rhondda, there were two rubbish collections each week. The street where I grew up, the collection was Tuesday and Friday. This continued until c. 1980/1. Mrs T's cuts put paid to that. There was also more ash collected has a lot more people still had coal fires. Unlike today, nothing was sorted. All in the bin. There was also less food waste then, far less convenience food. Potato peelings etc. were often put into a polythene bag and given to a man in in another street. He owned several pigs. E.U. regulations stopped that.
                          Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Originally posted by marc View Post
                            Back in the 1970s, in the Rhondda, there were two rubbish collections each week. The street where I grew up, the collection was Tuesday and Friday. This continued until c. 1980/1. Mrs T's cuts put paid to that. There was also more ash collected has a lot more people still had coal fires. Unlike today, nothing was sorted. All in the bin. There was also less food waste then, far less convenience food. Potato peelings etc. were often put into a polythene bag and given to a man in in another street. He owned several pigs. E.U. regulations stopped that.
                            I remember when we had a coal fire any paper cardboard would be burnt on the fire,glass bottles were returned to milkman or pop bottles to the shop,ashes was used to make paths,I think it was only tins and cans were put in dust bins,food waste was put on the compost heap,unlike today loads of plastics paper cardboard to recycle

Comment

U can still use blue bins to throw everything into as well as the green and brown bins that are for certain things.

Yes i think ash was thrown in the old tins bins.

Originally posted by marc View Post
                              back in the 1970s, in the rhondda, there were two rubbish collections each week. The street where i grew up, the collection was tuesday and friday. This continued until c. 1980/1. Mrs t's cuts put paid to that. There was also more ash collected has a lot more people still had coal fires. Unlike today, nothing was sorted. All in the bin. There was also less food waste then, far less convenience food. Potato peelings etc. Were often put into a polythene bag and given to a man in in another street. He owned several pigs. E.u. Regulations stopped that.

Comment

For years black plastic bins were labelled "No Hot Ashes".

At the flats I live there are separate bins for card & paper, tins & bottles, food, & general waste.
                                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                                X