Rubbish Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubbish Collection

I remember when we had those metal bins with lids to put the weekly rubbish out.Because we had a coal fire the newspapers were used for lighting the fire,paper cardboard was burnt.
    Milk bottles were returned to the milkman,bottles of pop were returned for 5p each.Fruit and veg were in wooden punnets or brown paper bags which you could burn.I cant remember much plastic stuff.
    Peelings of fruit and veg were used on the compost heap.The only things I remember we put out in the bins was empty food tins,pet food cans.My dad would empty the ashes from the fire and use it on the garden path.We also gave old clothing that didnt fit anymore to someone in the family to have.

Re: Rubbish Collection

u mean them round bins with round lids ay yes i remember them well.
    they where pretty small tho.
    have not seen anyone with one in a very long time.

we the parents still have an open coal fire sometimes the ashes would be put back on the fire.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

My parents used to have 2 black plastic bins for years, as Stockport council was very slow with wheelie bins for general rubbish.

I remember they used to have a compost bin for scraps, & saved up some recycleable items to go to the tip like cans & bottles.

Over the years the council started to collect more & more items to recycle in colour coded bins.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I remember the old bins and how the bin men came up the path to get them and carried them on their shoulders. Now you have to wheel your own out.
        1976 Vintage

Comment

There used to be a weekly collection which was always better. Less flies in the summer and less stink. Those metal bins seemed to last forever. They never blew over in the wind unlike these tall plastic bins we have now. You could throw a banger in one to blow it's lid off and the lid would still be useable and undented. We also recycled a lot of things especially pop and beer bottles .Newspapers used to go to the local chippie and milk bottle tops and silver foil to the school along with stamps and magazines etc.. either for charity or other projects.
          Looking back I can't remember us generating so much rubbish as we do today.
          Mum used to save up many of the brown paper bags we used to get our veggies in and reuse them for something else. Far too much plastic today and pre packaged stuff. Seems to take up a lot more space in the bin.
          I have to agree the coal fire also used up a lot of old newspapers and card board including wood. Then the ash would be used on the garden to keep slugs away from the greens. Always had a compost heap and still do which saves money later in the year when I need something to dig into the garden.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
            I remember the old bins and how the bin men came up the path to get them and carried them on their shoulders. Now you have to wheel your own out.
            Exactly as it was done

Comment

If i remember correctly the bins had a handle on them the metal ones.

Thing is about modern bins they come in many different sizes and colours.

Those metal bins i remember where not that big.
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                If i remember correctly the bins had a handle on them the metal ones.

Thing is about modern bins they come in many different sizes and colours.

Those metal bins i remember where not that big.
                But there was enough room to put your tins & cans in

Comment

We still have a weekly collection but my friend in the next county has fortnightly.
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

I remember you didn't have to put the bins out bin men use to come wake up in the mornings openin the metal bin lids take out the bags and put lid back on take any rubbish now we seam to do the jobs for them I need a bigger house to store all the bins for different items
                    THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

Originally posted by xmark1234 View Post
                      I remember you didn't have to put the bins out bin men use to come wake up in the mornings openin the metal bin lids take out the bags and put lid back on take any rubbish now we seam to do the jobs for them I need a bigger house to store all the bins for different items
                      The only bins we have provided is the scrap food waste,the recycles are in bags,which is easier for the men they just chuck them on the wagon.

As for the metal bins we didnt have a black bag inside the washed tins or cans went straight in

Comment

When did doorstep recycling collections first start your locality?

Comment

Was it about 8 years ago or maybe longer I cannot remember

Comment

Was thinking about this this morning when I woke up (madman ?)

Our area used to have a rectangular metal bin that was IN the backyard wall.
                            The 'open' top was in the yard and rubbish used to go in that (can't recall a lid) and the bin men would come up the entries and lift the bin onto their backs and carry the rubbish to the cart, empty it and bring the bin back.
                            Everyone's bins were the same in the area.
                            Anyone Remember that ?

And I remember the dustcarts in the streets used to have lift up sides when the guys were emptying street bins etc....
                            Will have to look for phot's...

Comment

..Found some, not very good but show the 'essence'
                              The first two are the bin carts themselves, and you can just make out 'rectangular' bins.
                              And the sketch is the man pulled street cleaning cart.
                              ENJOY
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X