Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone answer my questions about 'Elite'?

Default Re: Anyone answer my questions about 'Elite'?

I remember the Thargons being mentioned in the manual, with the hint that the Galactic Navy would pay for any captured examples.

Docking was really hard to master, but thanks to Cheat It Again Joe I managed to upspec the ship to have all the add-ons, including docking computers to make things easier.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1978 View Post
    Docking was really hard to master, but thanks to Cheat It Again Joe I managed to upspec the ship to have all the add-ons, including docking computers to make things easier.
    Cheating??!!

Turn in your Commander's pips immediately!

Another random Elite memory - these ads appeared scattered throughout a magazine so you saw them one at a time. I thought they were great at the time:

There was a cheat I to use, I can't remember if I read it somewhere or discovered it way back in the spectrum days, it was jumping between space stations without travelling in space. How to do it was to fill the ship with anything that could make a profit, select your next destination, leave the space station then stop, turn around to face the station, start turning your ship to the speed of the station making sure your lined up with the docking slot ,once lined up hit hyperspace and bingo your in the next space station.

Loved this game! Played the Spectrum 128 version, Amiga and finally PC. Would like to play Elite Dangerous, but my current PC isn't a high enough spec.

The easiest way to use the fuel scoops was to fly directly at the sun until you saw the temperature gauge start to rise, then execute a 180 degree turn and slow to a dead halt. Once your fuel was maxed out you then accelerate directly away from the sun before your ship gets too hot.

The special missions varied somewhat between platforms - my favourite one was having to rescue someone from a remote system before the star went supernova. I remember docking, picking up my passenger, launching and then hitting hyperspace just before the expanding star engulfed me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartimand View Post
    Loved this game! Played the Spectrum 128 version, Amiga and finally PC. Would like to play Elite Dangerous, but my current PC isn't a high enough spec.
    If you have an Xbox One I recommend getting Elite: Dangerous on that, it's so good and brings back many happy memories. Even still has teh Blue Danube when using a Docking Computer. Lave also has a wireframe station.

I'm a still a big Elite fan. First played it on the Spectrum, and remember struggling to unlock the game using the stupid 'Lens lock' security plastic viewer thingy. Saved up for the joystick club version, only to find it was Kempston only and i had Interface II. Back to saving again for a new joystick.
    I think I've played this on pretty much every format going and enjoyed them all. I think my favourite is the NES version.

If you have an Android device (phone or tablet) a friend of mine has written an Android port of the Amiga version of Elite which he's named 'Alite'.
    He offers it for free via the Google Play store here...
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...id.games.alite

It's a labour of love, and he's spent years working on this in his free time.
    It's an awesome version and it's really nice being able to fly the cobra via device tilt.

My 30yr hunt for Raxxla continues.

"If you have an Xbox One I recommend getting Elite: Dangerous on that, it's so good and brings back many happy memories."

Good thinking! I was given a 2nd hand Xbox 1 recently and am now the proud owner of Elite Dangerous - what a marvellous game!

"If you have an Xbox One I recommend getting Elite: Dangerous on that, it's so good and brings back many happy memories."

Good thinking! I was given a 2nd hand Xbox 1 recently and am now the proud owner of Elite Dangerous - what a marvellous game!
    We've got a 360, and an original xbox still, but not got around to getting a "one" yet.
    Dangerous does look really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik_Barbour View Post
    We've got a 360, and an original xbox still, but not got around to getting a "one" yet.
    Dangerous does look really good.
    It keeps the open-ended trading and fighting aspects of the original Elite but with vastly more missions, loads of mysterious things out there to discover, planet landings, far more realistic spaceflight dynamics, multi-player interaction and absolutely stunning graphics.
    It's worth getting an Xbox One just for a Elite Dangerous!

It keeps the open-ended trading and fighting aspects of the original Elite but with vastly more missions, loads of mysterious things out there to discover, planet landings, far more realistic spaceflight dynamics, multi-player interaction and absolutely stunning graphics.
    It's worth getting an Xbox One just for a Elite Dangerous!
    I'm going to have to start working on my 8yr old that he wants one of these for Christmas.