Amiga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amiga

As we are coming up to the Amiga's 30 year anniversary in July this year, I thought I'd see if anyone had any fond memories of this iconic computer.

Following the popular Commodore 64, the first Amiga model was the A1000 which was intended to be of a business machine, but this was quickly followed by the one most people will be familiar with, the A500:

As well as being famous for it's use in the creation of visual effects on the first season of Babylon 5, the A500 had some cracking games which really showed the difference between the 16bit machine and it's 8bit predecessors.

The first time I saw an Amiga was in a shop in Alfreton, Derbyshire called Gordon Harwood Computers - must have been around 1986? - where they showed me Defender of the Crown:

I also saw the El Gato demo, which at the time looked absolutely amazing and was a great demonstration of what the amiga could do:

After all that and a quick go on Test Drive, I was sold. I saved up for a while and the next time I came out of the shop it was with an Amiga 500, joystick, and the included software - Karate Kid Part II, Deluxe Paint and 10 disks of demos (I didn't grab a copy of Defender of the Crown until a little later).

Sadly, but perhaps not surpisingly, Gordon Harwoods no longer sells Amigas! - the last I heard they were an Apple supplier and I'm not sure if they're still even around at all anymore. My A500 is long gone, but I still have a slightly yellowing A1200 model in the loft which worked the last time I tried to fire up it's massive 20md hard drive (yes , that's 20mb, not 20gb!)

I recall the last time I loaded it, up came an icon for Vista. I had a moment's confusion that somehow Microsoft's dodgy operating system had gone back in time and got onto my Amiga until I remembered it was a landscape-generating utility program!

Any one else have any memories to share?

Re: Amiga

I do remember playing a friends amiga but i never ever had my own.
    Very like commodre c64c in both colour and the size and shape.
    Last edited by darren; 23-05-2015, 21:53.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I am enjoying a 2nd wind of amiga gaming on my android box using an emulator.
      Revisited lots of classic games I wasted loads of times on.
      Gotta say it looks great on a 42" HD tv rather than my old 17" Panasonic but the load times were crazy long. .. how the hell did I cope with my c64 before that?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Comment

i picked up another amiga the other week, a600 with accelerator card, cf hard drive and 2mb expansion, i stuck a usb floppy drive in it too so i can load all games from a usb stick. Love the amiga :-)

Comment

One of my all-time fave platforms. First Miggy was the A500 Batman Pack in 89, then bought the 500Mb expansion to play Dungeon Master, then upgraded to an A1200 with expanded memory.

I sold those to buy other gaming systems, but ended up with a couple more later on, including an A1200 with 030 expansion and a CD32. Wish I never got rid of those either:

Frontier - such a great game, till my Save Game disc got corrupted and I lost everything!

Playing Eliteangerous on the Xbox One now, so good.

Comment

My Amiga was the A500 Batman pack, it was such a huge jump graphically from my Spectrum 128K.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
              Frontier - such a great game, till my Save Game disc got corrupted and I lost everything!

Playing Eliteangerous on the Xbox One now, so good.
              I never got into Frontier, but I could watch the intro animation of the ship taking off and being chased all day - great stuff and very memorable music.

Comment

Originally posted by Gothic View Post
                My Amiga was the A500 Batman pack, it was such a huge jump graphically from my Spectrum 128K.
                I followed the C64 route - big jump as you say from 8 bit to 16 bit. I suppose you don't tend to experience that sort of technological leap so much these days?

Comment

Wow this is just superb looking.

i never did have an amiga a lovely layout i must say some floppy discs i see.

You do seem to have quite a lot of games.

Originally posted by mulletino View Post
                  one of my all-time fave platforms. First miggy was the a500 batman pack in 89, then bought the 500mb expansion to play dungeon master, then upgraded to an a1200 with expanded memory.

I sold those to buy other gaming systems, but ended up with a couple more later on, including an a1200 with 030 expansion and a cd32. Wish i never got rid of those either:

frontier - such a great game, till my save game disc got corrupted and i lost everything!

playing elite:dangerous on the xbox one now, so good.

Comment

I had an Amiga 600 - essentially the same machine as the Amiga 500+. but physically smaller (lacking the numeric keypad).

Had a pile of games; by far my favourite was Geoff Crammond's F1 Grand Prix. Also loved Sensible Soccer; Dungeon Master and The Settlers.

Used my Amiga for many years (possibly still in the loft, this thread might motivate me to root it out); eventually succumbing to the world of console gaming when the PS2 became affordable.

Comment

My cousins had some great games for theirs, Lotus Challenge, Kick Off 2, Winter Olympics among others.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

The best gaming machine I had when I was young was the Amiga (SNES a close second).

The Amiga was a huge leap forward and a real benchmark machine in terms of performance.

Some of my best video-game memories were with a friend of mine on weekends/ Summer holidays when we had endless time and were not at school.

A few of the games we liked and played

New Zealand Story
                        Batman the Movie
                        Kid gloves
                        Price of persia
                        Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge 1,2 & 3
                        Alien Breed
                        Shadow of the Beast series
                        Sly Spy
                        Hunter
                        Impossamole
                        Rainbow islands
                        Pang
                        Rodland
                        Flood
                        Monkey Island series
                        James Pond & Robocod
                        Golden Axe
                        Populous
                        Powermonger
                        Megalomania
                        Ghouls n' Ghosts
                        Harlequin
                        Back to the future 2
                        Bad dudes vs Dragon ninja

And loads, loads more.
                        Last edited by Jedi Knight; 09-12-2015, 16:26.

Comment

Quite a lot on that list im sure where released on more than one console.

Rainbow islands being one of them.

Can u list a few more mate.

Originally posted by jedi knight View Post
                          the best gaming machine i had when i was young was the amiga (snes a close second).

The amiga was a huge leap forward and a real benchmark machine in terms of performance.

Some of my best video-game memories were with a friend of mine on weekends/ summer holidays when we had endless time and were not at school.

A few of the games we liked and played

new zealand story
                          batman the movie
                          kid gloves
                          price of persia
                          lotus esprit turbo challenge 1,2 & 3
                          alien breed
                          shadow of the beast series
                          sly spy
                          hunter
                          impossamole
                          rainbow islands
                          pang
                          rodland
                          flood
                          monkey island series
                          james pond & robocod
                          golden axe
                          populous
                          powermonger
                          megalomania
                          ghouls n' ghosts
                          harlequin
                          back to the future 2
                          bad dudes vs dragon ninja

and loads, loads more.

Comment

Wow I remember the first Amiga I played well it was a friends but it was very small and it was even the first time I had used a computer the memories ey!

Comment

My home town Paisley borders Glasgow so me and my mates are a 10 minute train journey from the Barras Market and their £3 a disc or 2 for a fiver pirate games stall for ST and Amiga games. That anti piracy ad that used to run at the start of rented movies in the 1990s always made me laugh. The buyer is trying to return the video to the seller and because he doesn't have a receipt the seller is not interested. That was all bullshit. The pirate dealers at the Barras had a great reputation. If you bought a game that didn't work and took it back they would test it and if it didn't work they would either refund or replace. Any ST and Amiga owners in and around Glasgow would always have game collections of several hundred games.

Comment

Working...
                              X