Crayola crayons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crayola crayons

Who remembers these! I had them. I was fascinated with all the different names!

Re: Crayola crayons

I well remember these crayons. Truly hated them!! Unless they were used on top quality paper, they were pretty useless.
    Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

I loved them i loved the smell of them too.

They where the only ones i ever used.

So many colours which fascinated me as a kid.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Cornflower, goldenrod, carnation pink, burnt sienna. Just so many...

Comment

I remember getting the Crayola caddy for my birthday with the crayons, pens, paints etc.

I actually thought whether youngsters back then would understand the exotic names for the different colours that were basically dark green, light blue and all that. One crayon was the same shade of blue as my painted wallpaper in my bedroom which I was very pleased about. A lad who lived a couple of doors down also had one for his birthday which was just a few days before my own. I would have loved to be in the crayon factory and see them put all the colours together - I bet it's similar to how they create the different colours in the paint factories.
          I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
          There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Crayola produces almost the same number of colours as the number of car paints in a motor factors but only a small selection of them are bought by schools. They never seemed to have any of the colours with exotic names. Why?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._crayon_colors

Comment

I'm guessing schools bought sets with just the basic colours in.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

The sets with the basic colours were probably sold at a discount in bulk quantities. I remember that you had to go to an art shop to find the exotic colours and stationary shops only sold the exotic colours. My primary school had silver and gold crayons.

Teachers used to have a right go at me for sharpening crayons (using a knife) because it was wasting the wax. Crayons were an object of mischief because I would deliberately leave them on window sills in the blazing sun and they would melt everywhere. Even more mischievous was putting them on radiators at the end of the day so when they came on in the morning they were covered in multi-coloured molten wax which was very difficult to remove.

Comment

We had them at nursery school
                  sigpic
                  Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
                    Teachers used to have a right go at me for sharpening crayons (using a knife) because it was wasting the wax.
                    They probably had a go at you because you were using a knife.
                    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

VERY BAD CHILD U WAS.

JUST TOOK A LOOK AT YOUR LINK.
                      WOW SO MANY COLOURS IN THAT LINK.

MAYBE IT WAS THE PRICE OF GETTING MORE EXOTIC ONES IN.

MAYBE THEY COST A LOT COMPARED TO THE MAIN ONE RED GREEN BLUE ETC.

You can buy a box of Crayola® crayons in 152 colors today, but way back in 1903, they only came in eight colors. And that first-ever box of Crayola® brand crayons was a huge

Originally posted by Arran View Post
                      The sets with the basic colours were probably sold at a discount in bulk quantities. I remember that you had to go to an art shop to find the exotic colours and stationary shops only sold the exotic colours. My primary school had silver and gold crayons.

Teachers used to have a right go at me for sharpening crayons (using a knife) because it was wasting the wax. Crayons were an object of mischief because I would deliberately leave them on window sills in the blazing sun and they would melt everywhere. Even more mischievous was putting them on radiators at the end of the day so when they came on in the morning they were covered in multi-coloured molten wax which was very difficult to remove.

Comment

Vintage Crayola 64 Crayons - 1970's Prepriced $1.29 - New In Box

Along with the regular packs of crayons, there have been many specialty sets, including Silver Swirls,[8] Gem Tones,[9] Pearl Brite,[10] Metallic FX,[11] Magic Scent,[12] Silly Scents,[13] and more.
                        Fluorescent crayonS

In 1972, Binney & Smith introduced eight Crayola fluorescent crayons, designed to fluoresce under black light. The following year, they were added to the 72-count box,

in place of the duplicate colors. These crayons remained steady until 1990, when all eight were renamed, and eigh
                        t more were added, for a total of sixteen fluorescent crayons. One of the new colors, Hot Magenta, shared a name with one of the original colors, now Razzle Dazzle Rose. For some reason, two of the original eight fluorescent crayons have the same color as two of the newer crayons. In 1992, the fluorescent colors were added to the new No. 96 box, becoming part of the standard lineup. When four new crayons were added to the No. 96 assortment in 2003, four existing colors were discontinued, including two of the fluorescents. Also beginning in 1993, packs of fluorescent crayons were regularly labeled "neon" or "neons".

In 1976, Crayola released a pack of 8 Fabric crayons.[2] Each crayon is named after a standard color. In 1980, "Light Blue" is discontinued and replaced by Black. The colors' hexadecimal values are currently unknown. The names of the colors are listed below:
                        • Black
                        • Blue
                        • Burnt Sienna
                        • Green
                        • Light Blue
                        • Magenta
                        • Orange
                        • Violet
                        • Yellow

Last edited by darren; 01-11-2017, 19:06.

Comment

I see that box comes with a sharpener.

I remember trying one in a pencil sharpener, but it didn't work well.
                          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Pencil sharpeners don't work well with crayons. A knife is best to sharpen crayons with because you can shape the tip in whatever way you want it such as a point, a flat edge, or a V shape.

Comment

Working...
                            X