Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Iconic kids bikes from the 1990s

Default Re: Iconic kids bikes from the 1990s

Now thats a beautiful looking bike i must say.

I did a check and apparently schwinn bikes are sold thru argos so i guess that means they are sold in the uk.

Quote Originally Posted by victorbrunswick View Post
    i don't know if schwinn was ever sold in the uk but this was the iconic kids' bike of the '70s. This is the higher end krate version. Stingrays/krates are now highly collectible among vintage bike enthusiasts.

FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

I had a green Stingray when I was a kid. Sadly Schwinn completely missed the bus on BMX and mountain bikes because they thought it was only a California thing and a fad even though the very first BMX bikes were made from Schwinn parts.

Is this its little brother or is it a completely different bike?

I initially thought it had some connection with Sonic the Hedgehog but it doesn't appear to be the case after examining the stickers.

The only bikes that I am aware of that had a plastic cover over the frame were produced by Raleigh during the late 1980s and they resembled BMXs with plastic mag wheels. The two Sonic bikes were not made by Raleigh.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sonicred.jpg  

I had a Blue Bird bike in the 80's, with a plastic box on the back to keep stuff in. Then I got a much girlier Heather bike with a basket on the front! Only because my friend had one.

Quote Originally Posted by smiles7964 View Post
    I had a Blue Bird bike in the 80's, with a plastic box on the back to keep stuff in. Then I got a much girlier Heather bike with a basket on the front! Only because my friend had one.
    My sister had one of those bikes with a box on the back, later replaced by one bigger with a seat for a doll.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Hi, have just dug this out of my garage, has been stored for 20 plus years rarely used, understood it was BMX, based on a racer bike used in a world competition, it was too fast for my daughter !

Always wanted a Raleigh Vektar as a kid - anyone remember these? (BMX with computer fixed to the crossbar)

Never got one. I had a second hand Raleigh Chopper which someone had snapped the gear lever off.

The Raleigh Vektar was the steed of overprivileged or spoilt kids of the late 1980s bought by parents who had more money than sense. They were a show-off bike and totally unsuitable for use as a BMX because the plastic covers were too heavy and fragile. The kids who owned them tended to treat them as ornaments or just use them for gentle half a mile rides through suburbia to their friend's house or the local shops.

When did production of the Vektar finish? I can't recall any local kids who owned one back in the 1990s although a classmate owned a Raleigh Street Wolf that was handed down from his older brother.

I wanted a Vektar but knew my parents wouldn't get me one.

I'm not sure there were still around in 1987 when I got a Raleigh Styler Mag.
    The Trickster On The Roof

big kid Guest

although i didn't have a interest in bikes in the 90's, i think this will be one of the iconic bikes from then.

http://bmx.transworld.net/features/k...675+b6dc0a66d1