Iconic kids bikes from the 1990s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iconic kids bikes from the 1990s

There's plenty written about Raleigh Choppers, Grifters, Burners, and other old school BMX bikes from the 1970s and 80s (and people who had their childhood in these decades pay silly money for them) but are there any iconic kids bikes from the 1990s? Will the children of the 1990s ever have nostalgia for bikes from their childhood in the same way as the children of the 1970s and 80s?

At my primary school a few of my classmates when I was in KS1 owned an old school BMX from the 1980s with 16 inch wheels or a girly bike, and when I was in KS2 a few of my classmates owned a mid school BMX with 20 inch wheels that were mostly chrome plated, but the vast majority of the kids owned a mountain bike. I make a rough estimate that one third of the kids owned a Raleigh, one third an Apollo (Halfords own brand), and one third every other brand. Mountain bikes with suspension were very rare before 2000ish and curved rigid forks were the norm in the 1990s. I can vaguely remember the Raleigh Activator with suspension and how kids wouldn't be seen dead by their mates riding one because it was supposed to be a really bad bike. A friend had a Raleigh Dirt Cross that looked like a BMX with gears. I don't think they were very common. BMX bikes underwent a revival at the end of the 1990s but only became really popular after I had started secondary school in 2001 when nearly half of the boys in Y7 (but not so much the girls) either had one or wanted one.

Re: Iconic kids bikes from the 1990s

WHEN U SAY WILL KIDS OF THE NINETIES HAVE THE SAME NOSTALGIA FOR BIKES AS KIDS OF THE SEVENTIES AND EIGHTIES DID.

IM NOT REALLY SURE THEY WILL.

I JUST THINK NOW WERE INTO THE 2000'S KIDS OF THIS ERA WONT THINK IN A NOSTALGIC WAY WELL NOT AS MANY WILL AS THOSE IN THE NINETIES..

FURTHER U GO BACK THE MORE NOSTALGIC THEY WILL BE 70'S AND 80' I THINK KIDS IN THOSE DECADES THEYD BE BASICALLY AS NOSTALGIC TOWARDS BIKES AS EACH OTHER.

IN A WAY I CAN UNDERSTAND PEOPLE PAYING BIG FOR THEM AS THOSE BIKES WHERE ICONIC AND SO POPULAR.

IM PRETTY SURE I HAD EITHER A CHOPPER OR A GRIFTER.

I HAD ONE OF THESE BELOW.

FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Are any 1970s and 80s kids bikes that are not a Raleigh iconic apart from high-end and American BMX such as Mongoose or Skyway?

Comment

I had a Harrier bike which was the cheaper version of the Chopper
        sigpic
        Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

I HAD ONE OF THESE.
          NOT SURE IF ITS SEVENTIES OR EIGHTIES OR NINETIES.

ITS TOUGH THINKING OF ANY NON RALEIGH BIKE THATS ICONIC.

Last edited by darren; 26-07-2015, 22:00.

Comment

I had a Pavemaster...

I seem to remember it had thinner tyres than this...

Attached Files
            Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

When I discussed the issue with another kid from the 1990s we both agreed that Raleigh made a range of competent but rather dull mountain bikes during that decade. At the time they were seen by both parents and kids as high-tech compared with the offerings from Raleigh in the past. A bike with suspension and derailleur gears for a 6 year old was almost unimaginable in 1980 even if it did turn out to be the maligned Activator. The mountain bike also represented the first real innovation in bikes specifically designed for girls in 30 years. Girls of the 1980s were riding round on bikes barely different from those in the 1950s. Although Choppers and BMX are officially unisex they were designed with boys in mind. It was also agreed that despite the high level of innovation associated with mountain bikes nothing from the Raleigh stable in the 1990s has become iconic yet.

Comment

Any idea which company makes this bike? It appears to be from the 1990s or early 21st century but I have never seen anything like it before.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
                  Any idea which company makes this bike? It appears to be from the 1990s or early 21st century but I have never seen anything like it before.

Sonic?

Comment

I don't know if Schwinn was ever sold in the UK but this was the iconic kids' bike of the '70s. This is the higher end Krate version. Stingrays/Krates are now highly collectible among vintage bike enthusiasts.

Comment

Now thats a beautiful looking bike i must say.

I did a check and apparently schwinn bikes are sold thru argos so i guess that means they are sold in the uk.

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
                      i don't know if schwinn was ever sold in the uk but this was the iconic kids' bike of the '70s. This is the higher end krate version. Stingrays/krates are now highly collectible among vintage bike enthusiasts.

Comment

I had a green Stingray when I was a kid. Sadly Schwinn completely missed the bus on BMX and mountain bikes because they thought it was only a California thing and a fad even though the very first BMX bikes were made from Schwinn parts.

Comment

Is this its little brother or is it a completely different bike?

I initially thought it had some connection with Sonic the Hedgehog but it doesn't appear to be the case after examining the stickers.

The only bikes that I am aware of that had a plastic cover over the frame were produced by Raleigh during the late 1980s and they resembled BMXs with plastic mag wheels. The two Sonic bikes were not made by Raleigh.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I had a Blue Bird bike in the 80's, with a plastic box on the back to keep stuff in. Then I got a much girlier Heather bike with a basket on the front! Only because my friend had one.

Comment

Originally posted by smiles7964 View Post
                              I had a Blue Bird bike in the 80's, with a plastic box on the back to keep stuff in. Then I got a much girlier Heather bike with a basket on the front! Only because my friend had one.
                              My sister had one of those bikes with a box on the back, later replaced by one bigger with a seat for a doll.
                              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                              X