Jumper trends ... when it was hot!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jumper trends ... when it was hot!

Being an 80s/90s kid - you was either in one Club or the other when it was you had a Jumper/sweater on and it became to warm that day to wear it!

It was either round your neck (The fisherman look) or round your waiste Which 'club". Be interesting for any replies from members about what/which club you was ion?
    80Schav

Re: Jumper trends ... when it was hot!

Polo neck were fashionable in the 70s but I didnt like them,girls seem to wear them a lot a good way to hide a certain mark off your kneck.

Cant remember wearing jumpers/sweaters round my waist.

I think my favourite would have to be v neck ones

Comment

Who remembers the jumper & roller neck jumper all in one garment of clothing? I had to wear the jumper my maiden aunt knitted for me when she visited otherwise I would not be seen dead in it lol
      sigpic
      Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

polo necks and....spammies
        itched like hell....the wool.

and cardies for christmas ? - or there was a phase for two tone jumpers with collars - acrylic, went bad in wash

Comment

Originally posted by DSCOMAN View Post

and cardies for christmas ? - or there was a phase for two tone jumpers with collars - acrylic, went bad in wash
          Yes lambs wool and they would go into a funny shape if you put it in the washing machine by accident

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
            Yes lambs wool and they would go into a funny shape if you put it in the washing machine by accident
            Or by intention
            sigpic
            Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Yes and then you try Nan's / Aunty's mad tips to get them to go back to their original size- one was putting it under a settee seat and people sitting on it would make it go bigger ?!?!
              or wash it and pull it between you - usually ended up with LOOONG arms and mis-shapen body to the jumper

Comment

Oh yes i had a red one a few yrs back a polo neck and man did it itch like anything.
                Even thinking about it makes me go itchy.
                THE JUMPERS THEMSELVES I LIKED BUT NOT THE ITCHYNESS.

Originally posted by dscoman View Post

And cardies for christmas ? - or there was a phase for two tone jumpers with collars - acrylic, went bad in wash
                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                  Oh yes i had a red one a few yrs back a polo neck and man did it itch like anything.
                  Even thinking about it makes me go itchy.
                  THE JUMPERS THEMSELVES I LIKED BUT NOT THE ITCHYNESS.
                  Yer I always fancied 1 Darren mate as in the 1990s it was the trend to wear them underneath Shirts I recall, like Padded Shirts as Coats was! I am glad though that I never tried one though now, given what you say pal!

80sChav

Comment

This thread made me think of this, my Bro used to play it all the time bitd.

Comment

Amongst friends where I grew up (not as much amongst me and friends), we sure had a "Jumper Hierarchy" re;, the above!!

Did anyone else too (and if so which was which - eg The fisherman's Look Number 1 or not etc()?

80sChav

Comment

There seemed to be that fad of tying the things around your waste so they hung over your rear end. Trying to think when it came in, but can certainly remember doing it in the late 70's early 80's as it annoyed the teachers at school. Probably a hang over from the punks or an adaption of the bar towel across the rear sort of thing. Besides I was a lazy kid and if I could find a way of not carrying something I would.

Never really got or liked the more recent fashion of wearing jumpers under a shirt. It's like wearing pants on top of trousers.I'll leave that for superman.

before I go I can also remember tying them around the neck so they hung down the back like a cloak. That Superman look again

Comment

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
                          There seemed to be that fad of tying the things around your waste so they hung over your rear end. Trying to think when it came in, but can certainly remember doing it in the late 70's early 80's as it annoyed the teachers at school. Probably a hang over from the punks or an adaption of the bar towel across the rear sort of thing. Besides I was a lazy kid and if I could find a way of not carrying something I would.

Never really got or liked the more recent fashion of wearing jumpers under a shirt. It's like wearing pants on top of trousers.I'll leave that for superman.

before I go I can also remember tying them around the neck so they hung down the back like a cloak. That Superman look again
                          We never had the tying round your waste as you describe here Battyrat - but we did have it (though not as so as you describe), but I think we more favoured round the Neck (Fisherman style) either at School or out with mates. It was a question of you was "in 1 club or another"

I never got it neither re wearing them under the Shirt or Tees and Football Shirts over Shirts (as was a Semi Craze when I first went back to College at 18/19 in 1995)

The last look you described truly was amazing and is the best one I think though without any shadow of doubt/doubts

80sChav

Comment

I certainly remember tying my jumper around my waist. This was picked up from the other children in infants school, c.1971. It would eventually stretch the arms. It really didn't matter, has we grew out of (into?) them. Of course, the Devil makes work for idle hands, come 1974; Form two teams, knot the main body up into a ball, hold the ends of the arms, CHARGE!!!! Belt hell out of each other. This was a great game until a certain teacher, Mrs Trudgeon, put her foot down and stopped our wonderful game.
                            Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Originally posted by marc View Post
                              I certainly remember tying my jumper around my waist. This was picked up from the other children in infants school, c.1971. It would eventually stretch the arms. It really didn't matter, has we grew out of (into?) them. Of course, the Devil makes work for idle hands, come 1974; Form two teams, knot the main body up into a ball, hold the ends of the arms, CHARGE!!!! Belt hell out of each other. This was a great game until a certain teacher, Mrs Trudgeon, put her foot down and stopped our wonderful game.
                              So true Marc - this is/was a great and the best way to tie Jumpers as so, as I found out when I got into that style in later years.

Though I think that the "Fisherman" look just wins for me as my fave one!!

80sChav

Comment

Working...
                              X