Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jumper trends ... when it was hot!

Default Re: Jumper trends ... when it was hot!

Amongst friends where I grew up (not as much amongst me and friends), we sure had a "Jumper Hierarchy" re;, the above!!

Did anyone else too (and if so which was which - eg The fisherman's Look Number 1 or not etc()?

80sChav

There seemed to be that fad of tying the things around your waste so they hung over your rear end. Trying to think when it came in, but can certainly remember doing it in the late 70's early 80's as it annoyed the teachers at school. Probably a hang over from the punks or an adaption of the bar towel across the rear sort of thing. Besides I was a lazy kid and if I could find a way of not carrying something I would.

Never really got or liked the more recent fashion of wearing jumpers under a shirt. It's like wearing pants on top of trousers.I'll leave that for superman.

before I go I can also remember tying them around the neck so they hung down the back like a cloak. That Superman look again

Quote Originally Posted by battyrat View Post
    There seemed to be that fad of tying the things around your waste so they hung over your rear end. Trying to think when it came in, but can certainly remember doing it in the late 70's early 80's as it annoyed the teachers at school. Probably a hang over from the punks or an adaption of the bar towel across the rear sort of thing. Besides I was a lazy kid and if I could find a way of not carrying something I would.

Never really got or liked the more recent fashion of wearing jumpers under a shirt. It's like wearing pants on top of trousers.I'll leave that for superman.

before I go I can also remember tying them around the neck so they hung down the back like a cloak. That Superman look again
    We never had the tying round your waste as you describe here Battyrat - but we did have it (though not as so as you describe), but I think we more favoured round the Neck (Fisherman style) either at School or out with mates. It was a question of you was "in 1 club or another"

I never got it neither re wearing them under the Shirt or Tees and Football Shirts over Shirts (as was a Semi Craze when I first went back to College at 18/19 in 1995)

The last look you described truly was amazing and is the best one I think though without any shadow of doubt/doubts

80sChav

I certainly remember tying my jumper around my waist. This was picked up from the other children in infants school, c.1971. It would eventually stretch the arms. It really didn't matter, has we grew out of (into?) them. Of course, the Devil makes work for idle hands, come 1974; Form two teams, knot the main body up into a ball, hold the ends of the arms, CHARGE!!!! Belt hell out of each other. This was a great game until a certain teacher, Mrs Trudgeon, put her foot down and stopped our wonderful game.
    Who cared about rules when you were young?

Quote Originally Posted by marc View Post
    I certainly remember tying my jumper around my waist. This was picked up from the other children in infants school, c.1971. It would eventually stretch the arms. It really didn't matter, has we grew out of (into?) them. Of course, the Devil makes work for idle hands, come 1974; Form two teams, knot the main body up into a ball, hold the ends of the arms, CHARGE!!!! Belt hell out of each other. This was a great game until a certain teacher, Mrs Trudgeon, put her foot down and stopped our wonderful game.
    So true Marc - this is/was a great and the best way to tie Jumpers as so, as I found out when I got into that style in later years.

Though I think that the "Fisherman" look just wins for me as my fave one!!

80sChav

Though I have said "as I have said" now I am off the "Fisherman's look" but liked the tied round the waiste one at mo - which is /are both contary to my 80s and 90s tastes now I think. Willa dd apic of a friend though pulling "look number 1 off"!!

80sChav

A new trend I see now (not as i can confirm, that it was 80s Orientated) but I bet it was - is tying your Windrunner - like a Bg Strap over your T-Shirt/Polo!!

Does anybody know else of this trend may-be yes? How old it is - say/say it's Origins!!?
    Thanks
    80sChav

I have always thought that was why they were called sweaters.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

If anybody can help with this new Windrunner trend - I dearly want to try this, but don't know of any other forums to ask in/on!

Thanks,

80sChav

Who remembers Tank tops? sleeveless jumpers from the 70s with garish patterns on them?....Blurhhh, orrible but great for making goalposts of-course
    ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE NEXT HALF HOUR.