Knock knock, the Jehovah’s Witnesses are here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knock knock, the Jehovah’s Witnesses are here

This might be a bit of a contentious topic...

Back in the 1990s barely a month would go by without the Jehovah’s Witnesses knocking at front doors in my neighbourhood to preach about Armageddon then drop off a couple of their Watchtower and Awake magazines to entice you to join their movement. My mother’s very effective way of getting them to move on was to bring me to the front door where I would ramble on endlessly about the internal details of a technical subject like the Lego model I was building or a science book I was reading whilst showing it to them. It did the trick.

Since 2005 the number of times the JW have prowled my neighbourhood are so few that I can actually count them on my fingers. Their average interval between knocking on the same front door has decreased from about a month to nearly three years. I doubt that my neighbourhood is unique because almost everybody I have discussed the JW with in recent years shares a similar experience that the frequency of door knocking has fallen from months in the 1990s to years since 2005. The JW also appear to have given up prowling neighbourhoods with a high proportion of Muslim residents. Another noteworthy point is that the Watchtower and Awake magazines they handed out in the 1990s contained 32 pages but those from more recent years are slimmed down to just 16 pages.

Is this indicative that the JW are declining as a movement in Britain and no longer have the membership to knock on front doors anywhere nearly as frequently as they did in the 1990s, or is something else going on?

Re: Knock knock, the Jehovah’s Witnesses are here

Perhaps Jehovah Witnesses have at long last they have it all wrong & that Charles Darwin was right all along lol
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

I cracked a joke at primary school that the JW would be around for as long as there are front doors. An RE lesson was about religious symbols and I asked what the symbol of the JW is because they do not use a cross. The teacher claimed that the JW don't have an official symbol so I drew a picture of a front door in my notebook then wrote Jehovah's Witnesses next to it.

Comment

I'm certain that JWs run away from people who are mediums/clairvoyants. A few years ago we actually had them knocking on our doors... ON CHRISTMAS DAY! That ever happened to anyone?

Comment

Used to see them more going round in the 90s.Havent seen them around in ages,a giveaway sign is they normally go in pairs.They dont believe in blood transfusions,dont give or receive birthday or xmas cards they are quite odd

Comment

Originally posted by wispa lover View Post
            I'm certain that JWs run away from people who are mediums/clairvoyants. A few years ago we actually had them knocking on our doors... ON CHRISTMAS DAY! That ever happened to anyone?
            That's because JW's don't celebrate Christmas. They like to give gifts to each other when they feel like it rather than being dictated to. They don't celebrate birthdays either, I right boring bunch of sods?

I string them along. I invite them in for tea/coffee & cake & they think they have a convert in me

The last two were siblings Beau & Rachel. When they realised I was not going to be brainwahed they accepted the fact & still pop in to this day for coffee & a play on my Nintendo. We have remained good friends. Beau & Rachel have both since married to siblings of another JW family. They don't marry us non JW's lol True that is
            sigpic
            Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
              Used to see them more going round in the 90s.Havent seen them around in ages,a giveaway sign is they normally go in pairs.They dont believe in blood transfusions,dont give or receive birthday or xmas cards they are quite odd
              Oddly enough Amethyst they are rather odd (sic) lol
              sigpic

Comment

In fact Rachel & I are quite close & under normal circumstances would perhaps have blossomed into a relationship between her & I. As it is Beau, Rachel and I are sort of siblings, all three of us being quite close, despite the fact they failed to brainwash me lol
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
                  Oddly enough Amethyst they are rather odd (sic) lol
                  We wouldnt answer the door to them

Comment

Hide in a cupboard Amethyst??!! lol
                    sigpic

Comment

JW are prohibited from reading books and leaflets used by or about other religions. Neither are they allowed to step foot inside a place of worship used by another religion. Most JW children are withdrawn from RE lessons at school.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
                        JW are prohibited from reading books and leaflets used by or about other religions. Neither are they allowed to step foot inside a place of worship used by another religion. Most JW children are withdrawn from RE lessons at school.
                        There was one boy at my school who didn't go into assembly for that reason.
                        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                          There was one boy at my school who didn't go into assembly for that reason.
                          I tried that dodge once in school. I told them I had become a JW. He then told me I had just converted him into believing that a roof would cave in under mysterious circumstances if I ever set foot in one of their places of worship. Has nothing had been mentioned on the news, and I was standing in front of him, I was not a JW..........
                          Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

There's an older guy who is keeping the JW movement alive where I live. He's been around for years and still comes around at least once a month with a bunch of six or so who hit the street en masse, although I never seem to see the same people twice in his 'crowd'. I don't answer the door. People can believe what they want but I really don't agree with folk knocking on doors and trying to convert people to their beliefs.
                            1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                              There's an older guy who is keeping the JW movement alive where I live. He's been around for years and still comes around at least once a month with a bunch of six or so who hit the street en masse, although I never seem to see the same people twice in his 'crowd'. I don't answer the door. People can believe what they want but I really don't agree with folk knocking on doors and trying to convert people to their beliefs.
                              Exactly

Comment

Working...
                              X