Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TV progs that 'HAVE' and 'HAVE NOT' stood the test of time....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TV progs that 'HAVE' and 'HAVE NOT' stood the test of time....

I had thought about Spitting Image. It was a very ephemeral programme with each episode heavily intertwined with the political scene at the time it was produced, but the basic concept behind it is timeless, so there is no reason why Spitting Image could not be continued indefinitely and be just as popular today and tomorrow as it was in the 1980s. The same ephemeral concept applies to programmes like Watchdog or Crimewatch where episodes from bygone years are really only of historical value.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
      I had thought about Spitting Image. It was a very ephemeral programme with each episode heavily intertwined with the political scene at the time it was produced, but the basic concept behind it is timeless, so there is no reason why Spitting Image could not be continued indefinitely and be just as popular today and tomorrow as it was in the 1980s. The same ephemeral concept applies to programmes like Watchdog or Crimewatch where episodes from bygone years are really only of historical value.
      Arran, that is the reason why it will not stand the test of time, it was so close to the topic at the time. Over the last couple of years, Spitting Image would have brought the roof down on the British political scene. Sadly, with the departure of Mrs Thatcher has Prime Minister, Spitting Image lost its central character and pivoting point. I think it is now too late to resurrect this programme the way it was. A great loss to British satire....
      Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

How many people want to watch episodes of Eastenders and Coronation Street from decades ago? Not many unless they are interested in home decor from the past but it doesn't stop new episodes from being made. They are both very ephemeral programmes.

What about Dallas and Dynasty. Have they stood the test of time? Are old episodes of Casualty and Londons Burning classics or museum pieces?

Comment

I think dallas has.
          Londons burning has i do remember it and it was pretty exciting kept me glued to the screen.

Originally posted by arran View Post
          how many people want to watch episodes of eastenders and coronation street from decades ago? Not many unless they are interested in home decor from the past but it doesn't stop new episodes from being made. They are both very ephemeral programmes.

What about dallas and dynasty. Have they stood the test of time? Are old episodes of casualty and londons burning classics or museum pieces?
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Twin peaks seems to fair well. We bought the box set a while back and watched them. It was really good cause I never watched it the first time round but I was completely baffled at the end.

Comment

Yes i must admit it is a rather baffling show i know i was by the end.

I did watch it first time round.

Originally posted by littlelen View Post
              twin peaks seems to fair well. We bought the box set a while back and watched them. It was really good cause i never watched it the first time round but i was completely baffled at the end.

Comment

Have:
                Ever decreasing circles - enjoyable
                Streets of San Francisco - Michael Douglas was so cool and had great fashion sense compared to his colleagues of the era
                Bullseye - good to see the stars of darts, and the bad retro fashions - habit forming
                Strike it Lucky - Michael Barrymore - utter lune, he got away with a lot on his shows .....and bad retro styles on contestants
                Rising Damp - Rossiter was great as Rigsby

Have Not:
                It ain't half hot mum - but never liked it first time around

Comment

Ill sure agree with you on bullseye and strike it lucky and strike it rich basically same show as strike it lucky with just a very slight change.

Rising damp fantastic as is the rise and fall of reggie perrin WITH LEONARD ROSSITTER.

Originally posted by dscoman View Post
                  have:
                  Ever decreasing circles - enjoyable
                  streets of san francisco - michael douglas was so cool and had great fashion sense compared to his colleagues of the era
                  bullseye - good to see the stars of darts, and the bad retro fashions - habit forming
                  strike it lucky - michael barrymore - utter lune, he got away with a lot on his shows .....and bad retro styles on contestants
                  rising damp - rossiter was great as rigsby

have not:
                  It ain't half hot mum - but never liked it first time around

Comment

There's a lot of 1990s stuff that looks like it has entered the realm of obscurity.

Is the essence of this discussion about programmes that were popular and high profile to start with or does it cover niche programmes as well?

Comment

I've been surprised how quickly some things seemed to go from being almost omnipresent to forgotten almost overnight.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Anything as long as it 70's eighties or nineties id think.

Another is morph with tony hart quite a funny show but loved seeing tony doing his arty stuff thought him very good.

Originally posted by arran View Post
                        there's a lot of 1990s stuff that looks like it has entered the realm of obscurity.

Is the essence of this discussion about programmes that were popular and high profile to start with or does it cover niche programmes as well?

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                          Anything as long as it 70's eighties or nineties id think.

Another is morph with tony hart quite a funny show but loved seeing tony doing his arty stuff thought him very good.
                          morph was great wasn't it? Did you ever send in one of your own pictures for the gallery? I think I secretly hoped every picture I drew for my mam would make it on there but it never did. I used to look at the ones where someone's parents had clearly "helped": and think it was really unfair.

Comment

Originally posted by Littlelen View Post
                            Twin peaks seems to fair well. We bought the box set a while back and watched them. It was really good cause I never watched it the first time round but I was completely baffled at the end.
                            My fave programme of all time!
                            Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

SADLY I NEVER DID.
                              TBH I NEVER THOUGHT OF DOING IT.

IT WAS JUST SO GOOD.

ANOTHER IS KNIGHTMARE REMEMBER IT UR A DUNGEONEER AND U HAVE TO BEAT VARIOUS TRAPS ETC.
                              WHAT A FAntastic theme tune.
                              https://youtu.be/gxzKTbu-aR0

Originally posted by Littlelen View Post
                              morph was great wasn't it? Did you ever send in one of your own pictures for the gallery? I think I secretly hoped every picture I drew for my mam would make it on there but it never did. I used to look at the ones where someone's parents had clearly "helped": and think it was really unfair.

Comment

Haves....

Auf wiedersehen pet
                                Fawlty towers
                                Northern exposure
                                Seinfeld
                                Friends

Have not...

Practically all British sit coms from the 70's except Fawlty towers and dads army. The like of On the buses, Love they neighbour, Are you being served and Citizen smith are cringeworthy now.

It would be interesting to see what todays kids would make of updated versions of things like The Changes, Break in the sun, Chockys children as the basic stories stand up but the language as much as the styles are often very dated.

Comment

Working...
                                X