Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TV progs that 'HAVE' and 'HAVE NOT' stood the test of time....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TV progs that 'HAVE' and 'HAVE NOT' stood the test of time....

Dads army is a no.

I never found it remotely funny i just find it so dull..

Crystal maze is a have.
    Its stood the test of time very well.

I thought richard o brien was so funny his interaction with the contestants was great.
    Always singing using that whistle or whatever it was.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Not sure - Loved Treasure Hunt BITD, but saw it on challenge and the clues were sooo easy, and Wincey Willis and Kenneth Kendall ?
      Should bring it back tho' - great for geography, trivia, and history and general knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by havasack View Post
        Haves....

Auf wiedersehen pet
        Fawlty towers
        Northern exposure
        Seinfeld
        Friends

Have not...

Practically all British sit coms from the 70's except Fawlty towers and dads army. The like of On the buses, Love they neighbour, Are you being served and Citizen smith are cringeworthy now.

It would be interesting to see what todays kids would make of updated versions of things like The Changes, Break in the sun, Chockys children as the basic stories stand up but the language as much as the styles are often very dated.
        I love watching George and Mildred, robins nest and to the manor born if they ever show them. I could watch these all day and think they're hilarious even though they're slightly before my time to have seen them the first time round. Morecambe and wise crack me up. I love watching black and white 2 of a kind. One that stands out is a sketch where they're sat in a line at a cafe and the person next to them is eating the food off the next one downs plate. End result is Eric Morecambe ends up with nothing on his plate when he goes to eat. It had me in stitches. I know that's not strictly in keeping with the date of the shows but I couldn't help mentioning it.
        shows that haven't for me are Lovejoy, home and away (it's like flogging a dead horse yet they keep hashing out new episodes) and as time goes by. It's so depressing.

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
          My fave programme of all time!
          it's really good but makes no sense whatsoever. I enjoyed watching it but that log lady didn't seem too clever to me...she would have had something wise to say about my opinion on her I'm sure. They got to a really weird bit in the later episodes about owls and it went quite mad and sci-fi conspiracy then they reigned it back in to the story line and I'm still none the wiser about what really happened? I won't watch the film spin off. Is it called fire walk with me or something like that?

Comment

Littlelen - you need to check IYV 4 an Challenge and Drama - all freeview channels...G&M were on not so long ago...

Comment

Originally posted by DSCOMAN View Post
              Littlelen - you need to check IYV 4 an Challenge and Drama - all freeview channels...G&M were on not so long ago...
              I have a talktalk TV thing. Is it on there? I'll try updating my channels and look for it. I can get lost in afternoons with old telly on. It's like a blanket. Not sure which channel it is on mine that puts some episodes on but its once in a blue moon and definitely not at the moment.
              Thank you for that. I'm off to navigate my TV settings and see what I can find.

Comment

I remember Twin Peaks was sometimes the talking point at school, though I normally had to be in bed before it was on.

My brother has the box set of it.

Every few years there seems to be a series that's a bit strange & gets people watching & talking about it, like The Prisoner, St Elsewhere, Moonlighting, The X Files & Lost to name a few.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

havasack, Dad's Army will always stand the test of time. It is a period comedy, unfortunately, with a lot of truth.....
                  Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                    Have nots are.

Friends
                    on the buses
                    frasier
                    the simpsons
                    nash bridges
                    -------------

haves are.

Dempsey and makepeace
                    worzel gummidge
                    mork and mindy
                    bottom

thats just for starters.
                    worzel gummidge was terrifying! It gave me the creeps and terrible nightmares.

Comment

Originally posted by Littlelen View Post
                      it's really good but makes no sense whatsoever. I enjoyed watching it but that log lady didn't seem too clever to me...she would have had something wise to say about my opinion on her I'm sure. They got to a really weird bit in the later episodes about owls and it went quite mad and sci-fi conspiracy then they reigned it back in to the story line and I'm still none the wiser about what really happened? I won't watch the film spin off. Is it called fire walk with me or something like that?
                      It was indeed!

David Duchovny was in the original series and Mr. Bowie made an appearance...
                      Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                        Every few years there seems to be a series that's a bit strange & gets people watching & talking about it, like The Prisoner, St Elsewhere, Moonlighting, The X Files & Lost to name a few.
                        Yes - see Under The Dome!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                          It was indeed!

David Duchovny was in the original series and Mr. Bowie made an appearance...
                          David duchovny played a transvestite didn't he? He actually looked like he was having fun. My hubby collects rare vinyl and has a sleeve where they used kyle machlachlins image and I think they sampled some audio from the series too. Wish I could have backed that up with the track name but its very obscure. He has a bit of a cult status.
                          David Bowie too you say? I missed that bit. Which part did he play?

Comment

He played the part of a guy whose image didn't show up on CCTV - that's all I can recall

Comment

Cheers for that. I never knew. I'll be passing that on to the big man when he finishes today. I'll look out for some more info in the mean time.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
                                Are old episodes of Casualty and Londons Burning classics or museum pieces?
                                Old Casualty is far superior to the present day soapy dross and still holds up relatively well, especially the early 90 series - series 6, 7 and 8. I believe this to have been the strongest era for the show. The first series from 1986 I love but it does have an element of silly humour and BIG acting that can be a bit cringe now.

I'm actually making my way through early London's Burning most nights (alternating with The Bill! I'm up to series 4 of LB and series 3 of The Bill) and they're still really great. There's the odd dodgy acting moment from guest artistes in LB or clunker of a line in the script but it's still miles better than some of the stuff on tele these days. I worked my way through Juliet Bravo recently too and really enjoyed that. Slow paced yes and with a few dull eps, but there were plenty of gems in each series.

Curiously I find the 80s and 90s tele to stand up considerably better than stuff from 10/15 years back. I tried to watch a few things from the early 00s again recently like In Deep and the adaptation of White Teeth and they're ruined by too quick edits, scene changes and wall to wall music score.

A series I'm tempted to try is Z Cars. They've recently released DVDs of the 1972 colour series but the reviews are iffy to say the least. Has anyone checked them out? Could you recommend or is it a universal thumbs down? I must say, the idea of Rainbow's Geoffrey playing a copper is a bit of a turn off...I doubt I could take it seriously!
                                Last edited by Markxist; 05-08-2015, 15:37.
                                ​https://www.change.org/p/the-bbc-repeat-your-treasure-trove-of-single-drama-such-as-play-for-today-and-screen-one-on-bbc4-now

Comment

Working...
                                X