Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TV progs that 'HAVE' and 'HAVE NOT' stood the test of time....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV progs that 'HAVE' and 'HAVE NOT' stood the test of time....

OK seeing as I am in the 'chair'...I'll start...In My Opinion (IMO)
    By HAVE - I mean it's still good to watch - enjoyable even.
    By Have Not - I mean, things seem outdated without any retro value, not funny, tired, 'childish'...
    I expect some flack here

HAVE:
    Kojak
    Two Ronnies
    Open All Hours - (great retro stuff in store, windows, magazine racks BTW)

HAVE NOT:
    On the Buses
    Morecambe and Wise
    Tommy Cooper - not all, but a lot of....

Re: TV progs that 'HAVE' and 'HAVE NOT' stood the test of time....

This thread will be down to the persons own opinion. .Anyway..

HAVE:
    The Sweeney. Re-runs now on ITV4. Retro, tons and tons of it. Brilliant street scenes. Nice to see some of those vehicles that were once normal and everyday.

HAVE NOT:
    On the Buses.
    Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

At least we agree on 'on the Buses'...a good prog. but not very funny, and the appalling state of the decor in the houses ....ashamed !

Comment

Saw an advert in shop window for the 'seekers'

Comment

Have nots are.

Friends
          on the buses
          frasier
          the simpsons
          nash bridges
          -------------

haves are.

Dempsey and makepeace
          worzel gummidge
          mork and mindy
          bottom

thats just for starters.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Haves
            The Sweeney - agreed, total blast!
            The Professionals - not as good as above but better than a lot of other cr@p on TV these days!
            Fawlty Towers - The Germans

Have Nots
            Morecambe & Wise
            Only Fools And Horses
            Fawlty Towers - every other episode, pretty much!
            Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

supergran! I loved it! They filmed it in my street in Tynemouth when I was a little girl. Watching the DVD is awesome seeing the place where you live being made home to some pretty far fetched and at times downright shoddy story lines but completely hilarious and harmless fun.

Comment

Adrian Mole is very strongly attached to the early 1980s and makes references to everyday things and prominent events that would be difficult to fully understand or comprehend by anybody under the age of 30 from their perspective of everyday life. It could theoretically be used as a history programme to show how people in the early 1980s used to live.

BUGS was a sci-fi drama shown by the BBC during the 1990s but it doesn't appear to have a particularly big following. Do you think that it has stood the test of time?

There seems to have been a revival of 1980s cartoons in recent years. I was given a large quantity of video tapes of cartoons and childrens TV programmes from the 1980s when I was a kid. They included a full series of Mysterious Cities of Gold and Ulysses 31 amongst many others, and I preferred watching them to what CBBC and CITV were offering during the 1990s although no kids at school had even heard of them.

Comment

Shows that have a lot of topical references can be confusing when seen by people who weren't around at the time, I remember having to ask my Dad about 1 or 2 things on Monty Python, but it didn't stop me from enjoying it.

I remember Bugs, as it used a lot then "cutting edge" technology (& later series seemed to be set in the near future) it might not have dated well.

Mysterious Cities of Gold and Ulysses 31 were both very good series.
                  The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Great thread O.P - a real interesting idea for a topic!

The ones I'd rate as

"Have" Only Fools and Horses, Bread, Grange Hill, Coronation Street, The likely Lads, Some Mothers Do Have Um

"Have Not" Fawlty Towers (but a lot stands against it now for Red Tape and PC-ness) that makes it look dated, In Sickness and In Health/'Til death Do Us Part, Berjerac

If can think of any others I will add!

80sChav

Comment

What about:

Miami Vice
                      Howards' Way
                      C.A.T.S. Eyes - do the master tapes still exist of this programme?
                      Knight Rider

Comment

Have.

Ulysses 31 fantastic series which i still watch.
                        Grange hill of course
                        thundercats original cartoon

some mothers do ave em.
                        Blockbusters original
                        crystal maze original.

have not.

Only fools and horses

Comment

I loved Ulyses!
                          Chocky was a really good series too. my little boy reminds me of the kid on it. I'm pretty sure I have an 8 year old brainbox/ megalomaniac. he's a little scary at times too like he's attached to another dimension. I'd love to know where his fascination with numbers came from cause I was always a complete daydreamer.

Comment

Here's a HAVE NOT:
                            Spitting Image. Having seen a DVD of this series, it is now hard to see a lot of the funny side of this programme. It was so topical at the time, it is now hard to understand. Time has moved on. It is even difficult to identify a lot of the characters. Mrs Thatcher and some of the other characters are still well known, but the others...... To be fair, there are still some excellent scenes to watch, but I defy the younger generation to identify with it.
                            Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

The intro was pretty scary for a kid.

Its such a great show mate.
                              --------------------------------------------

for me another have is the tripods.

An incredibly scary series even now it puts the shivers down my back.

Originally posted by littlelen View Post
                              i loved ulyses!
                              Chocky was a really good series too. My little boy reminds me of the kid on it. I'm pretty sure i have an 8 year old brainbox/ megalomaniac. He's a little scary at times too like he's attached to another dimension. I'd love to know where his fascination with numbers came from cause i was always a complete daydreamer.

Comment

Working...
                              X