Early 'multicultural' TV programmes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Early 'multicultural' TV programmes

There definitely was much more diverse homegrown programming shown in the past, and more content from abroad, even for children; The Red Hand Gang from the US springs to mind, and the series Under The Same Sun featured real children talking about their lives in countries around the world: South America, the Middle East, etc. TV has taken a real backward step, and concentrates too much on cheapo "reality" TV and talentless "stars" like the Kardishians.

Comment

OH HERE IT IS COSMO AND DIBS NOT THOUGHT OF THIS IN A VERY LONG TIME.
      BUT I DID LIKE IT.

https://youtu.be/exkUcdhohJU

Originally posted by Littlelen View Post
      You and me with Cosmo and dibs used to look at culture a bit I think I remember but it was usually just videos of something like a British family celebrating ramedan or Jewish festivals.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I'm trying to remember the programme which had a feature where an ethnic girl would read a letter or diary entry with some still pictures. She had a white uncle Jonathan, quite radical for the mid 1980s. I've got the feeling it was Lay On Five, but it might have been a schools programme.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by agfagaevart View Post
          i really cannot see how your "theory" about a media bias can be reinforced, when many of the shows that I mentioned didn't last more than one or even two series, and on the main got low viewing figures, apart from Desmonds and The Fosters. In fact, many of the other shows made in the 1970s and '80s cannot be transmitted on television now, because they contain offensive stereotypes. And even when popular shows such as Minder are repeated, they have to be edited. You do not have to believe me, just grab an old copy of The Radio and TV Times, and you will see proof that programmes made for ethnic groups were pretty scarce on British television - then and even now sadly. And who says that these programmes were made under the assumption that all Muslims are Asian?? I certainly did not. Credo was a religious (not Christian) programme shown at primetime on a Sunday evening. Eastern Eye concentrated on issues affecting the Indian Asian community, this included health problems such as diabetes which predominates in their community. Even so, I don't think that it was aimed at any particular race of people, as I used to watch it sometimes, and I am not Asian.
          My OP comes as the next item in a long chain of research into the subject of TV programmes designed for people from foreign backgrounds that will eventually be used to produce articles about the television licence, so I’m already clued up about the media bias.

I’m also aware that many of the interests of certain foreign and religious communities does not correlate with what white British small ‘l’ liberals and the race relations community have in mind when it comes to ‘multicultural’ TV programmes.

Provide some evidence of this, because as far as I recall, the only black person to regularly appear on Thames TV years ago was Trevor MacDonald - And he still does appear on ITV sometimes today in fact. There was one other black TV News reporter called Mark Wadsworth on Thames News during the Andrew Gardner days of the late '70s and early '80s, but he was rarely seen. The only other black newsreader was Moira Stewart on the BBC. If anyone reading this recalls the names of any Asian newsreaders and TV presenters on television back then please enlighten me as to their names. Were there any Blacks or Asians even running Thames TV back then?? I don't think so. This is hardly what I would call bias.
          You have completely missed the point. This discussion is not about black and Asian actors in popular entertainment programmes for adults, or presenters of documentaries and news programmes. If you read the OP the question is about programmes either intended to be watched by kids from foreign backgrounds and non-Christian religions or those intended for white British kids to learn about foreign cultures and non-Christian religions. So far Umbrella seems to be the only programme.

Thames and many of the ITV companies of the past, were commercial entities and had to produce output which would bring in many viewers and keep their advertisers happy. Therefore, they catered to the majority white audiences that watched the channel. It was as simple as that. Thames upset the Tory Government - so did Channel Four to some extent, and in their eyes they needed to be controlled and punished. So television was deregulated, ownership of TV channels was put out to tender and alas Thames lost out (so did we alas). The knock-on effect of this, which Margaret Thatcher had not foreseen was that TVAM also lost its franchise, and Thatcher even wrote a personal letter of apology to its MD, the late Bruce Gingell, afterwards. Therefore, no conspiracy.
          ITV companies back in the 1970s and 80s had many timeslots to themselves where they often showed programmes aimed at the interests of the people who live in their franchise areas – such as local current affairs programmes or coverage of prominent local events – that were not networked into other ITV regions. TSW and Grampian were particularly renowned for this because they didn’t have the muscle to get their programmes onto prime time. Thames rarely (if ever) used these timeslots to show programmes for people of foreign origin who lived in and around London.

The official reason why Thames lost to Carlton is that they were outbid in the franchise auction. Considering that the ITC have never made public their values for each ITV reason add fuel to the theory that the bidding was only there to muddy the water and the ITC decided that Thames, TVS, and TSW must go for some other reasons they would prefer to keep quiet about. TV-AM could well have been an unfortunate victim of the bidding process.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
            My OP comes as the next item in a long chain of research into the subject of TV programmes designed for people from foreign backgrounds that will eventually be used to produce articles about the television licence, so I’m already clued up about the media bias.
            If that's the case, why bother to ask questions on this forum?? You have already made up your mind, and the only bias I can see, is in your direction.

You have completely missed the point. This discussion is not about black and Asian actors in popular entertainment programmes for adults, or presenters of documentaries and news programmes. If you read the OP the question is about programmes either intended to be watched by kids from foreign backgrounds and non-Christian religions or those intended for white British kids to learn about foreign cultures and non-Christian religions. So far Umbrella seems to be the only programme.
            No, you have missed the point; You asked about Multi-cultural programming and I mentioned a few shows that I remember. That's all. The ones that I mentioned in my first post, were shown either in the afternoon, or before the watershed. So children could and invariably did watch them when they were transmitted. I also stated that these were just a few of the many thousands of programmes transmitted by the TV channels during the 1970s and 1980s, and I mentioned the dramas as a way of indicating what else was on television years ago, which children could have watched. If you really are so "clued up" (which I doubt) you would know that. I also mentioned Under the Same Sun, a children series that was truly international. It was not aimed at "White British" but children who wanted to see how their peers lived in other parts of the world - The Middle East, Europe, South America, Africa, etc. No doubt there were other shows like it. I would have to refer to my many back issues of TV and Radio Times in order to jog my memory, but its really really not worth it.

ITV companies back in the 1970s and 80s had many timeslots to themselves where they often showed programmes aimed at the interests of the people who live in their franchise areas – such as local current affairs programmes or coverage of prominent local events – that were not networked into other ITV regions. TSW and Grampian were particularly renowned for this because they didn’t have the muscle to get their programmes onto prime time. Thames rarely (if ever) used these timeslots to show programmes for people of foreign origin who lived in and around London.
            That is just not the case regarding Thames. In fact, during the mid '80s and the mid '90s they would show "community" programmes that were often quite short (5 -10 minutes in length) after bulletins like Thames News. These concerned the issues affecting the Greek, Jewish, Italian, and even "White British" (as you would say) communities. I recall seeing them! One which springs to mind was called Help if my memory serves, it was presented by Joan Shenton. There would be a telephone number shown at the end which viewers could use for more information. Do you still reckon you are clued up??? I would like to know how you did your research (if you did any at all). I know that "researchers" like to save themselves some work, by coming onto forums asking questions. Not really valid research IMO.

The official reason why Thames lost to Carlton is that they were outbid in the franchise auction. Considering that the ITC have never made public their values for each ITV reason add fuel to the theory that the bidding was only there to muddy the water and the ITC decided that Thames, TVS, and TSW must go for some other reasons they would prefer to keep quiet about. TV-AM could well have been an unfortunate victim of the bidding process.
            If you say so.
            I will not reply again...

Comment

Originally posted by agfagaevart View Post
              I know that "researchers" like to save themselves some work, by coming onto forums asking questions. Not really valid research IMO.
              There certainly are some people who say that research is not research unless it cites only peer reviewed academic journals and books with ISBN numbers. In the real world not all knowledge has found its way into peer reviewed academic journals and books with ISBN numbers. Sometimes asking around in the right place will reveal much useful information. I wasn't aware of the existence of Umbrella and Under the Same Sun until I came to this forum, so it has been a productive discussion.

Comment

I have found one episode of Umbrella - the 1987 Christmas special - on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJCHuMBI3U0

Presented by Brian Murray and Maria Warner.

Comment

I remember watching Playschool on BBC 2 in the mornings, and it was followed by Mahabharat.

Comment

The use to be an asian programme my parents use to watch called 'New way, New life.'
                    I think it was on early Sunday mornings.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonraker View Post

The use to be an asian programme my parents use to watch called 'New way, New life.'
                      I think it was on early Sunday mornings.
                      That'd be this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nai_Zindagi_Naya_Jeevan

My sister's and I would just sit and watch it and put on silly Indian accents to the theme tune. The show actually gets a mention in the Serious Drinking song Countdown to Bilko.

Comment

Originally posted by KidCurry View Post

That'd be this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nai_Zindagi_Naya_Jeevan

My sister's and I would just sit and watch it and put on silly Indian accents to the theme tune. The show actually gets a mention in the Serious Drinking song Countdown to Bilko.
                        Nice find. I wonder if Enoch Powell watched it. He was fluent in Hindi and Urdu.

Comment

Working...
                        X