Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heinz Vegetable Salad - LOVELY

Does anyone remember this.

It was ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS in summer........can't seem to get it any more....unless you know differently ??
    Attached Files

Re: Heinz Vegetable Salad - LOVELY

It looks very like coleslaw to me.

But no i cant think of vegetable salad.
    Was it really as nice as it look
    s.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Now that's a wild card! ......Salad?.... In a tin?...... What's going on there then? Has it got lettuce in?

Comment

Yes it was lovely, it was VEGETABLE salad cut into small chunks. A bit like the Sandwich spread only chunkier and not as tart.
        Had potato, carrot, and peas in a salad cream (or mayo sauce)......was great with REAL salad (Lettuce, toms, etc)
        There was also potato salad in a tin, and cucumber salad in a tin !!!
        MUCH BETTER THAN THEY SOUND - even tho' it looks like sick in a tin
        Advert from the 50's I think attached, and the video ad from 70's on youtube.

the ad is on youtube- link below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2syd9XGFaM
        Attached Files

Comment

Cool advert. I love the pics they used for advertising. I'm guessing it was a post ration concept?

Comment

I used to love this, i have one tin left in the cupboard, a little out of date but it hasn't blown so i will have to eat it soon but then i will never taste it ever again:cry:

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
              It looks very like coleslaw to me.

But no i cant think of vegetable salad.
              Was it really as nice as it look
              s.

Very different to coleslaw. It's more like potato salad but with carrots and peas added too.

Comment

We had occasional tins of this but more frequently had the potato salad.
                1976 Vintage

Comment

I used to eat huge amounts of Sandwich Spread on fresh bread after school I was the only one among my brothers and sister who liked it. Tried it again about a year ago one bite was enough God it's sharp. I know your tastes change as you get older but I'm surprised I liked it even as a kid. Might try and raise money for C I N or Comic Relief by getting my friends and family to sponsor me to eat a couple of slices. Well it's a bit easier then running a marathon.

Comment

I didn't like the vegetable salad something about the taste that made me want to dash after turning green, however for some reason I love sandwich spread. Funny really as I had a bad jar of the stuff a few years ago which I feel was responsible for me being very bad.

Comment

now that i think about it i think i did have it.
                      My mind is a bit hazy.

It look lovely.

Originally posted by trip2themoon View Post
                      very different to coleslaw. It's more like potato salad but with carrots and peas added too.
                      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I had forgotten about this but now remember I liked it, yum! Haven't seen it in shops so guess its no longer made ☹

Comment

My wife found a Polish version in Tesco this week, in the aisle selling potato salad etc. It is made by Lisner and is in a plastic tub labelled O Mamo! salatka warzywna, z groszkiem. This translates as vegetable salad with peas. The taste is very similar to the original Heinz recipe (not the one which was last on sale and was too vinegary for my taste!) and is just as chunky, but not quite as moist - a good thing in my book! BB dates are short, presumably because it’s not in a sealed tin, so don’t buy for long term storage. Made my pizzas this week really deliciouser, as well as lunchtime sandwiches.

Comment

Working...
                          X