Spin off shows that worked .... or didn't

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spin off shows that worked .... or didn't

The original Battlestar Gallactica had the odd spin-off Galactica 1980, which was axed after 10 episodes.

It was edited down into a telemovie that ITV seemed to show quite often, sometimes mixed in with the normal episodes, which was quite confusing!
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Oh yes thats right forgot about that.

Not surprised it was axed after 10 eps.

Why edit it together no wonder it made no sense.

Another i thought didnt work was the planet of the apes series made shortly after the original film.
      Think it only ran for 14 episodes.

Originally posted by richard1978 View Post
      the original battlestar gallactica had the odd spin-off galactica 1980, which was axed after 10 episodes.

It was edited down into a telemovie that itv seemed to show quite often, sometimes mixed in with the normal episodes, which was quite confusing!
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
        Oh yes thats right forgot about that.

Not surprised it was axed after 10 eps.

Why edit it together no wonder it made no sense.

Another i thought didnt work was the planet of the apes series made shortly after the original film.
        Think it only ran for 14 episodes.
        There were 3 BG films made by editing episodes together, the first 2 were from the original series & at least used consecutive episodes.

I'm guessing as the original series was the most expensive made at the time (the 3 hour pilot was $5 Million in 1978) they needed to make some money back, in some places they were actually shown at cinemas.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
          The original Battlestar Gallactica had the odd spin-off Galactica 1980, which was axed after 10 episodes.
          It was god-awful and doomed to fail! The main actors were two wooden hams and the producers were stupid enough to put a year in the title - That's NEVER a good idea!

Comment

Originally posted by agfagaevart View Post
            It was god-awful and doomed to fail! The main actors were two wooden hams and the producers were stupid enough to put a year in the title - That's NEVER a good idea!
            I think it was referring to the fact that some episodes they time travelled back to 1980, but it does date it somewhat, considering the original BG still looked good in the mid 1980s, about 7 years after it was made.

Comment

They tried to cheat us viewers, by setting it in the present (back in 1980 anyway) thus saving production costs. But it just wasn't as good as seeing the future in the original series.

Comment

A few more that haven't been mentioned. Lewis and Endeavour are both spin offs from Morse
                The Royal from Heartbeat.
                Ashes to ashes from Life on Mars. All pretty successful and certainly didn't disgrace the original. Whole bunch of CSI'S too....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X