Spin off shows that worked .... or didn't

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spin off shows that worked .... or didn't

Was just wondering what spin off shows we all felt were as good as the show they originated from or the one that simply should have left well enough alone

My all time favourite spin off was Frasier - I loved cheers and Frasier was brilliant

one of the worst was Joey (from friends) really poor and not surprised it didn't last too long

What is your favourite / most hated ?
    Age is just a number - If yours bothers you stop counting

Re: Spin off shows that worked .... or didn't

Holby City has worked rather well for Casualty, though for me it started off well, got really bad, picked up brilliantly a couple of years back and is now utterly rubbish again! They tried to do a police spin off Holby Blue that was really bad. Lasted two series.

They did a few spin offs of The Bill; I quite liked Burnside at the time and thought it had legs at the time but it was a one series wonder. Haven't seen it since broadcast though so it might be iffy now!

Rock and Chips was good for Only Fools, The Green Green Grass less so

Rockliffe's Babies was a great cop show in the 80s, Rockliffe's Folly was not.
    ​https://www.change.org/p/the-bbc-repeat-your-treasure-trove-of-single-drama-such-as-play-for-today-and-screen-one-on-bbc4-now

Comment

Never knew frasier was a spoin off off cheers.

My fave was cats eyes which was a spin off of the gentle touch both where superb.

Can you list other shows that where spin offs and of what show.

What is a spinoff im not sure is it where an actor from one show is in another.

Is the spinoff joey the same show as joey and melissa.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
        Never knew frasier was a spoin off off cheers.

My fave was cats eyes which was a spin off of the gentle touch both where superb.

Can you list other shows that where spin offs and of what show.

What is a spinoff im not sure is it where an actor from one show is in another.

Is the spinoff joey the same show as joey and melissa.
        Yes a spin off is a show which uses the same characters, same setting or has links to characters/settings from other shows. So, as Frasier was a character in Cheers originally, his sitcom Frasier was a spin off from Cheers. Likewise, C*A*T*S Eyes as you point out, is a spin off from The Gentle Touch because Maggie Forbes was in both shows.

Joey was an ill fated, short lived sitcom featuring the character of Joey played by Matt Le Blanc after Friends ended. It has nothing to do with Melissa and Joey - I actually had to look up M+J just to check! Never hear of it!
        ​https://www.change.org/p/the-bbc-repeat-your-treasure-trove-of-single-drama-such-as-play-for-today-and-screen-one-on-bbc4-now

Comment

there are way more than most people would imagine as a lot of characters were bit parts on other shows that proved successful and ended up with there own shows.

Did you know that Mork and Mindy is actually a spin off from Happy Days (look it up I was amazed when I was told)
          Knowing me Knowing you with Alan partridge is a spin off from The day today and in turn that spawned I am Alan Partridge

some very well known ones are Knots Landing (dallas), The Colbys (Dynasty) Torchwood and the sarah jane adventures (Dr Who)

Comment

C.A.T.S. Eyes was a TVS production. See the discussion about TVS Television for reasons why is hasn't been shown again or available on DVD.

https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/t...TVS-Television

Comment

Funny i was wondering was mork and mindy a spin off from another show and there you go you answer my question.

Didnt think happy days was was what mork and mindy was the spin off of.

Mork and mindy absolutely loved it so much.

I dont like american comedies at all but this was the one exception.

Originally posted by jay mc View Post
              there are way more than most people would imagine as a lot of characters were bit parts on other shows that proved successful and ended up with there own shows.

Did you know that mork and mindy is actually a spin off from happy days (look it up i was amazed when i was told)
              knowing me knowing you with alan partridge is a spin off from the day today and in turn that spawned i am alan partridge

some very well known ones are knots landing (dallas), the colbys (dynasty) torchwood and the sarah jane adventures (dr who)

Comment

Laverne & Sherley and Joanie Loves Chachi were other spin-offs of Happy Days.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Worked
                  Mork And Mindy
                  Laverne And Shirley

Failed
                  Joanie Loves Chachi

All from Happy Days, of course...

Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Ones that worked:
                    Robin's Nest (Man About The House)
                    Going Straight (Porrige)
                    Tucker's Luck (Grange Hill)

Comment

One that I think didnt worked was She Ra (obviously from He Man) not nearly as good
                      Last edited by Jay Mc; 17-08-2015, 16:16.

Comment

Oh i loved she ra actually i still love both.
                        Loved the crossover episodes first 5 she ra eps made up secret of the sword.

Originally posted by jay mc View Post
                        one that i think didnt worked was she ra (obviously from he man) not nearly as good

Comment

Crossovers are good too; for example Cheers crossed over into an episode of St Elsewhere once when we saw some of the doctors having a drink at Cheers and Carla complaining about the poor care she received at the hospital last time she gave birth. As the concluding part of St Elsewhere was shown to be a day dream in the head of an autistic boy this begs the question was Cheers a dream too? Then there's the fact that Ed Begley Jnr's St Elsewhere character popped up in Homicide:Life On The Street which in turn had the character of Munch appear in The X Files, Law and Order, SVU, The Wire and referenced in Luther. L+O love a crossover, and there's been crossovers with recent series Chicago Fire and Chicago PD. I think some St Elsewhere characters appear in Chicago Hope too. And BJ Honeycutt from MASH was said to be Dr Mark's drinking buddy back in Korea in St Elsewhere too!

Comment

Just checked and melrose place 92 to 99 is a spin off from beverly hills 90210 1990- to 2000.

Whats odd about it is the spin off actually started before the show it was a spin off of finished.

It didnt really do it for me m.p.thought b.h. 90210 was superb.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                              Just checked and melrose place 92 to 99 is a spin off from beverly hills 90210 1990- to 2000.

Whats odd about it is the spin off actually started before the show it was a spin off of finished.

It didnt really do it for me m.p.thought b.h. 90210 was superb.
                              Sometimes some spin-offs started not long after the original show, The Facts of Life was only a year or 2 behind Different Strokes.
                              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                              X