What was that dance called?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was that dance called?

I remember a dance where you all sat in a line on the floor with your legs astride the person in front and then swayed from side to side and stuff. What was that dance called and what song was it meant to go with?

It was for 'Oops Upside Your Head' by the Gap Band...

Sweet reminiscing of discos growing up!

Did it have a name for the actual dance?!

Comment

Originally posted by Precious Jewels
      It was for 'Oops Upside Your Head' by the Gap Band...

Sweet reminiscing of discos growing up!

Did it have a name for the actual dance?!
      Assorted aunties used to refer to it as "that boat song..."

Very popular with aged relatives for some reason, despite their assorted dodgy arthritis & rheumatis doing its best to hinder them :/

Comment

Yup "The Boat Song" dunno why it went with oops upside ya head tho....

Comment

yeah the row boat song . a classic at family do's the length and bredth of the country it was also hilariously lampooned on men behaving badly . to sailing by rod stewart
          A HOUSE WITHOUT A KETTLE IS A HOUSE WITHOUT A HEART .....

Comment

I know the "dance" alright, huge at weddings, parties, etc. It's done to Rock the Boat ( "So I'd like to know where...You got the motio-io-nn...")
            Into the 5th Millennium & beyond...!

Comment

That song

Not sure of the name of the dance but the song was a group called Forest, I will find the title later, was played at a birhday evening or event. great fun all innocent......fun.. let me know if you had learned of anything else.

Originally posted by brucef
              I remember a dance where you all sat in a line on the floor with your legs astride the person in front and then swayed from side to side and stuff. What was that dance called and what song was it meant to go with?

Comment

Yeah, Forrest did "Rock the Boat" but it was a cover of The Hues Corporation's original.

This track was not a dedicated dance track, though, as "Oops upside your head" was (Rowing boat dance).

As a DJ, I stll play "Oops" at mixed aged parties because:

a. It's a good track which fills the dancefloor
                b. You get to look up women's skirts as they get down (and up) - all innocent, though and I dare you to try to not look and see who's wearing suspenders & who's not.
                c. You usually gety some saddo walking up and down the line of "rowers" whipping them with his tie.
                Clive.

Comment

Re: What was that dance called?

i always got a big person in front of me, so half way through, the pains in my groins were too painful to carry on!
                  sigpic

Comment

Saw an interview on tv with the Gap Band and they said when they first came to England to do TOTP they couldn't understand why everyone sat on the floor swaying from side to side. They'd never seen it done before. Must be an English eccentricity thing.

Comment

Anyone (30-40s) remember doing the dance to Jingo by Candido

Comment

I've done the 'oops upside your head' dance many times. Most recently it was at a party a couple of years ago BUT it was done to James' 'Sit Down'. Clearly a result of intoxicated 30-somethings knowing it was definitely buns to the floor time but then getting the dances mixed up. 'Sit Down' of course requires an instant drop to the floor with much hand waving. No chain and synchronised oops uping of the arms is necessary.
                        1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by brucef View Post
                          i think it was called the Boat all parties did it and we even did it at my friends wedding reception it was great fun

Comment

I hated the dance!

Sitting on the sticky, fag butt infested nightclub floor was an absolute sure fire way of messing up your clobber. Just horrid!

Comment

Working...
                            X