old deposit bottles-bring them back en masse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old deposit bottles-bring them back en masse

does anyone else share my view,that deposit bottles should make a comeback?i mean,i know barrs have started to do it again but im talking in a mainstream way like it was when i was growing up in the eighties (and for quite a lot of you too,the seventies of course).you had corona,alpine,and my local firm citra,that all did returnable deposit bottles.think of the recycling possibilities,and lets not forget,any of the delicious soft drinks always tasted better out of a glass bottle for some reason-they just did!
    mind you,when i was a kid we used to take our empties back,plus a few we'd found in the nearby streets etc,then on an evening go round to the back gate of the local shop,pinch a few empties in crates round the back and take them in the next day and get even more cash.....scheming little buggers we were

Re: old deposit bottles-bring them back en masse

Do any of the companies that used deposit bottles still exist apart from Barr? The fizzy drink industry is dominated by a handful of multinational companies nowadays who primarily sell through supermarkets.

I have a feeling that there was a company in my town who used to deliver fizzy drinks in deposit bottles some time during the 1990s, or it could have been a dairy with a milk round, but if it existed then it's long since gone. Another returnable bottle disappearance are the small glass milk bottles from primary school. They were still being used when I finished Y6 in 2001 but have since been unceremoniously replaced by cartons.

Comment

Re: old deposit bottles-bring them back en masse

beer also tastes better in glass bottles. however, returnable bottles were about the only source of income for 'single parent children on reduced pocket money stipends' and we could take them back to buy fags.
      Hangin' Around

Comment

Working...
      X