Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

more supermarket memories....presto and grandways.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more supermarket memories....presto and grandways.

the presto i remember was down station lane,in my home town.seemed a tad like the hillards layout but smaller.equally similar was grandways,the one i remember was in hornsea.anyone else remember these?

Re: more supermarket memories....presto and grandways.

Originally posted by stuckinthepast77 View Post
    the presto i remember was down station lane,in my home town.seemed a tad like the hillards layout but smaller.equally similar was grandways,the one i remember was in hornsea.anyone else remember these?
    I remember I had a part-time job at our local Presto for about 6 weeks collecting trollies for £1.35 an hour in the late 80s - and they laid a bunch of us off at no notice.

Not that I'm still bitter....

Comment

At one time there seemed to be a lot more regional supermarket chains, some of which merged to create a national chain.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Here's a picture of one in Southend-On-Sea, is the early 80s going by the films that are on.

Comment

I can remember Presto & Grandways but I also remember a minimarket called Jacksons which I think was linked to Grandways

Comment

Safeway was my favourite, love the logo. Most of them became Morrisons a good few years ago, I was pleasantly surprised to find myself in a Safeway in San Francisco a few years back, its still a big chain there.
            Attached Files
            www.palxbox.com my main project, collecting a full set of Xbox games and documenting them, ETA for completion of the site is 2025 mind!
            www.retrogameprices.co.uk my other project, collating prices that retro games sell for on eBay

Comment

Originally posted by Vintage View Post

Safeway was my favourite, love the logo. Most of them became Morrisons a good few years ago, I was pleasantly surprised to find myself in a Safeway in San Francisco a few years back, its still a big chain there.
              Safeways over here were owned by the American company from the 1960s to the early 80s, when they were sold off.

Some became Waitrose, mostly in the North of England.

Comment

I recall Safeway and Prestos being big "back in the day" ... possibly they thought of themselves as slightly superior to Kwick save but I recall Presto was often a bit like Kwick Save and never bought into how they assumed themselves a better store than Kwick Save!

I recall in my then 9Home Town) around 1994 Safeway opened a massive Shop and they thought that they could take on Morrissons (especially with free Gimmicks) and they made a fairly decent job of it for a few months (in store) but soon then they fell back into the old Presto's style and didn't last!1

80sChav

Comment

Found this. Thought I'd upload it.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Lo Cost was one supermarket that was going strong in the mid 1980s - some of them became Kwik Save (another one that has bit the dust).

Lo Cost was still going in around 1990 as we were looking after a relative's cats while she was off on holiday, and my mother kept popping into local shops asking "excuse me, do you sell cat food?" We got the cats some Best Ever Whiskas (hence the then advertising campaign), and I don't know what they put in the food, or whether the cats were following the advertising campaign back then, but they really enjoyed it!

And of course there was Fine Fare as well.

I am surprised that the Co-op is still going considering that it just caters for the elderly and trade unionists these days.
                    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

The Co-op seems to concentrate on smaller shops & has other interests like travel agents, banking, undertakers etc to spead the load.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                        The Co-op seems to concentrate on smaller shops & has other interests like travel agents, banking, undertakers etc to spead the load.

Hence the fact that they cater for the elderly...
                        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                        X