Any HiFi experts around !?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any HiFi experts around !?

Our bladdy HiFi started skipping CD tracks and spinning them at a million revs per second ...

I've tried using on of those CD cleaning disks with a funny brush stuck on it but it made no difference ..

It's a LG FA166DAB .

Re: Any HiFi experts around !?

Usually cd players have a sort of rubber band connecting the motor with the cog that spins the cd. When the rubber band is loose or broken, the motor can no longer control the speed of the spinners, making them just spin fast. Could be the motor itself. Those can be replaced. If you can find an old one around that works.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulGuardian View Post
      Usually cd players have a sort of rubber band connecting the motor with the cog that spins the cd. When the rubber band is loose or broken, the motor can no longer control the speed of the spinners, making them just spin fast. Could be the motor itself. Those can be replaced. If you can find an old one around that works.
      Forgot about this thread !

My HiFi CD player has suddenly started to skip trax ....

Gets to track 4 then if I try to fast forward it starts to play up and spins around about 1000 times a second ......

I've had it into the local HIFI shop ( very old guy ) who's cleaned the lens ( and mirrors !?) but it's no better ( cost £15) .

It's an LG FA166DAB HIFI ...

Is it just beggared and time to get a new one ( which we can't really afford) or is there something I'm missing ?

Its only on "burnt" CDs not the real genuine , bought CDs ... Very odd .

I've tried burning through Windows player and Nero and even used the other burner on the laptop .... same result .

Help !!!!!!

Comment

Usually cleaning does fix the problem. However, if the laser lense is really old, i'm afraid you'll have to get a new one.
        Alternatives, could be one of the cables that is deteriorated. You could always get a second hand one.

Sorry can't be of further assistance.
        £15 would have bought you a second hand one.

Comment

Usually cleaning does fix the problem. However, if the laser lense is really old, i'm afraid you'll have to get a new one.
          Alternatives, could be one of the cables that is deteriorated. You could always get a second hand one.

Sorry can't be of further assistance.
          £15 would have bought you a second hand one.

Getting really stressed now ...

Tried the latest CDs Poloroid which were dearer than the Tesco ones ..didn't work , tried at slower burning speed ... didn't work , tried "without a pause between tracks " ..didn't work ... Aghhhh

Any real good makes of CDR ?

Comment

I no longer use cds mate. I use mp3 players, pens on a multi reader that cost around £7 quid. Reads pens, sd cards and aux entry.
            But I used any cd when I did burn.
            Even from the pound shop.
            But again, really old cd players only play original cds when they are used a lot.
            When you burn audio cds use the default settings.
            Real player or wmp are good ones.
            Dunno what else to say, I never had trouble burning cds, and they all played fine on my old cd player.

Maybe you're burning music in a data disc instead of audio?
            Also check that they are mp3 and not wma.
            Most cd players can't read both formats, only one or the other.

Comment

I no longer use cds mate. I use mp3 players, pens on a multi reader that cost around £7 quid. Reads pens, sd cards and aux entry.
              But I used any cd when I did burn.
              Even from the pound shop.
              But again, really old cd players only play original cds when they are used a lot.
              When you burn audio cds use the default settings.
              Real player or wmp are good ones.
              Dunno what else to say, I never had trouble burning cds, and they all played fine on my old cd player.

Maybe you're burning music in a data disc instead of audio?
              Also check that they are mp3 and not wma.
              Most cd players can't read both formats, only one or the other.
              Na ... CD setting ...nothing has changed apart from the fecking cd player won't play them

Comment

Are you letting the burning process complete to 100%
                You have to let the program "finalize" the process or it wont play.
                Make sure you pick mp3 format or whatever format it states on the hifi system.
                Could be wma only.
                You have to check that.

Comment

Are you letting the burning process complete to 100%
                  You have to let the program "finalize" the process or it wont play.
                  Make sure you pick mp3 format or whatever format it states on the hifi system.
                  Could be wma only.
                  You have to check that.
                  All above ..

It's all worked perfectly for years , no changes apart from the player not working properly on newly burned CDs

It plays the older burned CDs and genuine purchased CDs though which is puzzling considering many think the lens needs replacing ....

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                    many think the lens needs replacing ....
                    Ye, sounds like that's the problem.
                    My ps2 has the exact same issue you described.

Comment

Ye, sounds like that's the problem.
                      My ps2 has the exact same issue you described.
                      Gutted . Only bought it new just over a year ago

Comment

Sorted !

Bought a new one ...

Chose the newer , improved version

FA 168 DAB

Thanks guys !!

Comment

Aghhhhh.

Looks like the HiFi I just bought doesn't have DAB after all !!

That means I will have to buy a separate standalone DAB player .

The wife is going to go bonkers !

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                            Aghhhhh.

Looks like the HiFi I just bought doesn't have DAB after all !!

That means I will have to buy a separate standalone DAB player .

The wife is going to go bonkers !

I had the opposite problem, getting a portable DAB for Xmas thinking the model also had FM, thanks to a badly written review.

I had to keep it because the shop wouldn't take it back, as I had to rip open the packaging to try it out, being one of those sealed plastic ones.
                            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                              I had the opposite problem, getting a portable DAB for Xmas thinking the model also had FM, thanks to a badly written review.

I had to keep it because the shop wouldn't take it back, as I had to rip open the packaging to try it out, being one of those sealed plastic ones.
                              What's the attraction of FM to you incidentally ??

I could only find about 5 stations ( one being the local town radio ) plus Radio 1/ 2 / 3 and maybe 5 ?

Comment

Working...
                              X