Light guns and light pens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light guns and light pens

Light guns were used with shooting type video games and most amusement arcades had at least one of these machines although they were also available for game consoles. Light pens were light guns without a trigger switch and were used to select on-screen options on machines with CRT displays. I encountered one used with an information system in a museum. They are fantastic concepts but as they only work with a CRT and will not work with LCD or LED displays then they have effectively died along with the CRT.

Re: Light guns and light pens

I had the light gun for the nes duck hunt if I remember
    THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

Oh yes i remember light guns well and yes they where used for duck hunt on the snes.

I can remember using them very well.

Light pens i remember but never had one.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Used to love me some light gun games.

Arcade favourites include Crossbow, Operation Wolf and it's sequels, Mad Dog McCree, Time Crisis, Area 51, House of the Dead, Point Blank which I could complete with both guns at the same time, and many more.

I bought the home conversions of most of these, Operation Wolf on the Amiga, Time Crisis, Point Blank etc on PlayStation, House of the Dead on Wii etc.

Shame the older ones need a CRT to work, but the updated versions on the Wii. PS3 etc are still fun to play.

Comment

I do remember light pens being used on an old tv show i think a kids educational programme.

Youd see the pen move up and down etc but you would never see the hand moving it.

Comment

I remember using light guns in the arcade for Operation Wolf--mentioned previously by a poster--which was a great game. Also I got a light gun for the Sony Playstation for games like Die Hard. Light pens I didn't encounter so often. I have a vague recollection of a light pen for the Amiga for use on programs like Deluxe Paint, but I may be confusing it with something else.

Comment

light gun for the playstation that does shock me a bit.

I remember them for duck hunt as i had it myself but didnt think any other console had it for games.

i never saw it for use in the arcade either.

Playstation 1 i guess you mean mate.
              Must have been early nineties ps1 came out.

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
              i remember using light guns in the arcade for operation wolf--mentioned previously by a poster--which was a great game. Also i got a light gun for the sony playstation for games like die hard. Light pens i didn't encounter so often. I have a vague recollection of a light pen for the amiga for use on programs like deluxe paint, but i may be confusing it with something else.

Comment

The Sega Saturn also had Light Gun games, as the early light guns I had also had connectors for both the Saturn and Playstation on them.

Comment

Hi Darren, it would have been around 1997/8 I would guess. I am assuming it was the Playstation 1 as I think it was a little too early for the Playstation 2. I can't remember if we got the Playstation, light gun and games as a package or whether the gun was bought separate, but it came with several games, one of which was Die Hard.

Comment

hi mate wow 97/98 i thought light guns had died off in the late eighties.

I even found out ps3 games have light guns.

So its fair to say they have been around a long time.

From the nes,saturn days up to the playstation etc.

When one thinks of how much technology has disappeared over the last 30 yrs its hard to believe light guns are still around.

CERTAIN GAMES THOU SUIT THE LIGHT GUN SUCH AS DIE HARD.

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                    hi darren, it would have been around 1997/8 i would guess. I am assuming it was the playstation 1 as i think it was a little too early for the playstation 2. I can't remember if we got the playstation, light gun and games as a package or whether the gun was bought separate, but it came with several games, one of which was die hard.

Comment

Working...
                    X