Ice Cream Sundaes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice Cream Sundaes

Who remembers the Knickerbocker Glory in a tall glass where you had a teaspoon with a long handle to eat with.Scoops of ice cream the raspberry sauce fruit cocktail bits and the whipped swirly cream on top with a cherry yum.

Or the Banana Split in a boat shaped dish

Or Peach Melba

Strawberry or Chocolate sundaes

There was also one with ice cream sandwiched between two wafers and raspberry sauce and I think you had swirly cream on top cant remember what that one was called though.

Re: Ice Cream Sundaes

I think the layers of ice cream wafers & raspberry sauce in a dish was called a north pole

Comment

Was the Knickerbocker Glory properly defined or was it just a generic term for an ice cream sundae? It seems to be a term that has fallen out of use and I doubt that many kids would know what one is.

Banana splits were very popular in the 1950s. Possibly due to the return of bananas to Britain after their disappearance during WW2 and ice cream coming off the ration books. There were even elongated banana split dishes made in the 1950s and 60s . Very collectable now.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
        Was the Knickerbocker Glory properly defined or was it just a generic term for an ice cream sundae? It seems to be a term that has fallen out of use and I doubt that many kids would know what one is.

Banana splits were very popular in the 1950s. Possibly due to the return of bananas to Britain after their disappearance during WW2 and ice cream coming off the ration books. There were even elongated banana split dishes made in the 1950s and 60s . Very collectable now.
        Seen knickerbocker glories on some pub dessert section.

Comment

My mother told me stories about how she always wanted a knickerbocker glory as a child but her parents used to come out with the excuse "It's too big, you'll waste it!" every time. During my own lifetime the mention of knickerbocker glories on menus seems to have been few and far between and I can't recall any kids at school ever using the term.

Comment

Im just wondering how did an ice cream sundae be known as a knickerbocker glory.
            Or maybe in certain parts of the country it was known by that name.

My mom remembers them.

Be easier just putting ice cream sundae on the menu.
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

It was named after the Knickerbocker Hotel in the US which opened in 1906.Then there was annual conventions in Hull which made it popular in the 1920s onwards in thee Uk for the wealthy,As it was the hard times for working class who couldnt afford them

Comment

The banana split was invented in Pennsylvannia in 1904

Peach Melba was invented by a french chef working at the Savoy Hotel London in 1892

Chocolate & Strawberry sundaes were invented in the US around 1880s

Ice cream sodas 1874 in Philadelphia

Ice cream cones St Louis 1904

Ice cream Sandwiches 1900 in New York ice cream in between two wafers,In Britain it was always known as ice cream wafers

99 cones first were around in the 1930.s britain.

Comment

Working...
                X