Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Department stores

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
    Was Binns a department store in the North East?

A lot of buses in the 1960s - 70s had Shop At Binns painted on them.
    It was in Edinburgh.

I'd never heard of it till yesterday when on Skype with my parents (so they can see their grandson grow up from the other side of the world) and my dad mentioned it.

Apparently he was evacuated to his Grandparents in Edinburgh during the war (as his parents lived in London) and his Grandfather worked in Binns in Princes Street. Every day when he came home from work he'd bring my father a new toy, from the "broken toys" box as they always had something wrong, like a missing wheel etc.

Comment

The only nearby department store I can remember when growing up was Clarke's in Cannock. It had 2 floors and was located on a corner. There was a sizeable toy department with a good selection of Airfix kits and the furniture was housed on the first floor. It was considered a bit up-market with prices to match by my parents, so we didn't often visit it to buy things. On the end of the building was a little place where you could buy uniforms for scouts, cubs etc. The store closed probably around 25 years ago.

Comment

Our local one was called Keddies, I loved going there especially at xmas. They had a computer department which became Silica Shop in the 80s/90s.

It's gone now, the facade has been kept but it's populated with smaller shops now.

Comment

It was the same for Clarke's. It was converted into smaller shops...a pizza shop and insurance agent were early ones I remember.

Comment

Working...
          X